last years seeds?

Hi All,

I still have seeds I bought last year left over: tomatillo, zukes, and I forget.

Would they still be good? Or should I buy new ones?

Many thanks,

-T

Where were they stored? We keep excess seeds in a plastic container in the fridge. Even with that they don't last forever and possibly they will not grow. We have had fairly good luck on heirloom seeds that we've had for years. I put them in vacuum bags and into the container, they seem to last longer that way.

Reply to
George Shirley

Google "seed longevity;" it depends on the family. Clan Brassica lasts a long, long time, and tomatos at least several years. Be aware though, that the seed companies sometimes keep seed in cold storage for several seasons, so the stated germination test is only good for the "sold for" year on the packet. Saving our own is a Good Idea for a lot of reasons, but that's a whole 'nother subject!

Reply to
Gary Woods

Worth a try. I planted a butt-load (10-20 seeds in each of 4 cells) of my 2012 tomatillo seed since I have not had any recently and the last time I tried them I didn't get any. I have 3 probable seedlings (amazingly, in 3 cells) which are not yet large enough to verify. I get volunteers in the garden, but those barely get a fruit ripe before they freeze (even ore tender than basil) so if I don't get seedling pre-started, I'm pretty much out of luck on tomatillos.

I planted 2009 tomato seeds 4 to a cell - they came up all 4, faster than the 2016 seed 1 to a cell

The "I forget" will be "It Depends", but if it's 2015 seed, try it, most likely some will come up. I can't recall how my overage zukes have done in the past and don't have any running right now.

My seeds are not in the fridge.

I have generally poor luck with old nasturtium seed and old basil seed.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

My garage

Thank you!

Thank you!

Tomatillo! I love the things.

Do you grow yours in trellises?

What is your favorite fertilizer?

What is your favorite variety? (I eat them like cherry tomatoes.)

-T

I think I will buy new seeds.

I grow "pineapple tomatillos" which might have a vague taste in the direction of the name, and are fairly small, and I normally eat them ripe and yellow. I usually give them a tomato cage, which is a sort of trellis. Poo de horsey is my default fertilizer, since it's free for the hauling - composted more or less.

Reply to
Ecnerwal