Last year's peas

The remainder of last year's Red Rippers and WhipPoorWill peas are cooking with some ham from last night for tonight's dinner . Fresh cornbread is in order ... Got RR's and Purple Hulls planted this year , we'll see how they do .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Package and send sample. When my Dad was on strike back in the forties and fifties we lived on peas, beans, rice (could buy a "barrel" of rice for two bucks back then)* and cornbread, the real kind, no sugar at all. Still eat all that stuff and taught wife and kids how good it is, we used it a lot as a young couple with two kids if the money flow was slow. Can't get much better Terry. In the place of ham we often fried up some bacon and tossed into the beans.

*Rice used to be sold by the barrel, a barrel of rice was 44 lbs IIRC. I grew up in the rice farming part of Texas, worked the levee's a lot, flagged crop dusters, all for two bits an hour, also in the warehouse, tossing "barrels." By the fifties there were no real barrels anymore, just cloth bags. I could take a "barrel" of rice every three months for free. Nowadays we eat brown rice, a little longer to cook but has all the minerals and vitamins. White rice is polished in the factory that bagged the rice for grocery stores, all the good stuff is turned into something else that I can no longer remember. You sure stirred up some good memories, most of the folks I knew back then, including many at my age then, are gone to their reward. I can picture them sitting around a big table with rice, cornbread, buttermilk, etc. Laughing about it all.

George

Reply to
George Shirley