Last Night for Dinner

We had some brats cooked on the little gas grill and a delightful veggie medley of sauteed onions , mushrooms and the FIRST ZUCCHINI from our garden . I cut it into french-fry size strips and tossed it in there with the 'shrooms , onions , butter and a few diced garlic cloves . Mighty tasty ! And there looks to be a continuing supply coming ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Good for you !! there is nothing like a first zucchini!! Than being said I am going to tag on here. Had a party last night and a neighbor said her zucchini had been missed and turned into baseball bats so she threw them out !!!!!! She was scolded by more than one neighbor. I guess she just didn't know all the tricks of the zucchini trade MJ

Reply to
mjciccarel

You used a frying pan on a grill?

Small zukes are good when halved and grilled, and served with parmesan (tomato sauce optional). I've always liked the combination of brats and shrooms, or chicken and red bell peppers, but I'll have to wait a few more weeks for my squash which is only in bloom now.

Reply to
Billy

No , I used the frying pan on the stove ...

Hmm , we like them sliced about a quarter inch thick and grilled . High heat is best , sears and carmelizes sealing in the jiuces . I'll have to try some with sauce and/or cheese , that sounds good .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Chutney ? maybe added nutrition in a batch of homemade salsa ?

I'm not really much of a zuke lover , but it is good in stirfry or grilled . Last night was kinda like stir fry , woulda been better with some fresh ginger root . Tonight we'll be enjoying the First Tomato on our salad . Along with some shredded boiled eggs from our chickens . I'm diggin' this country livin' !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

While I know you mean bratwurst sausages......

Reply to
phorbin

Are you sure ? Really really sure ?? Actually you are right , never thought of that particular spin on what I said .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Shredded zucchini can be used in meat loafs, or as pfannkuchen (latkes), salads, or

Zucchini Parmesan Crisps

1 lb. zucchini or squash (about 2 medium-sized) 1/4 cup shredded parmesan (heaping) 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs (heaping) ... 1 tablespoon olive oil 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt freshly ground pepper, to taste Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with foil and spray lightly with vegetable spray.

Slice zucchini or squash into 1/4 inch-thick rounds. Toss rounds with oil, coating well.

In a wide bowl or plate, combine breadcrumbs, parmesan, salt and pepper.

Place rounds in parmesan-breadcrumb mixture, coating both sides of each round, pressing to adhere. The mixture will not completely cover each round, but provides a light coating on each side.

Place rounds in a single layer on baking sheets. Sprinkle any remaining breadcrumb mixture over the rounds.

Bake for about 22 to 27 minutes, until golden brown. (There is no need to flip them during baking -- they crisp up on both sides as is.) =====

Let your imagination be your guide.

Reply to
Billy

Billy wrote: ...

it's good filler for almost any muffin or spiced bread recipe. keeps things moist.

if you don't want people asking you what the little green bits are (i like 'em) it helps to peel the zukes before shredding.

shredded and frozen is one way to keep some through the winter.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

If freezing, it is best to squeeze out the water from the shredded zucchini first.

Reply to
Billy