Jerusalem artichokes flowers

Hello all! New to the forums, so thanks for creating this place, first of all.

I am digging some new beds in my newly expanded vegetable garden, including a long nice bed for Jerusalem artichokes.

Somewhere I read that they should be shortened when about 1,50 m, cutting off the tops and flower heads to make the plant more wind resistant. Is that the only reason? Does the flowering affect the crop? I would love to let the plants grow tall and bloom. It is very much part of why I like them. So unless the blooming affects the crop significantly, I will just build a cage of bamboo cases around the bed to stake them against the wind. Opinions? I never grew these before!

Oh, I am in the SW of France and the plants will be in full sun from mid morning to sunset, if it helps.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Katherine W

I've never had a problem with JAs blowing over, and it DOES get windy on my hilltop. And the flowers certainly are pretty in the late summer. Be aware that Jerusalem Artichokes can be invasive- the smallest bit of missed root will start a whole clump the next season!

Reply to
Gary Woods

Thank you!

Yes I know they are tough wilful fellows. That suits me. I like vegetables with a will to live. Any unruly root will be dug up and fried with rosemary, laurel and garlic. So they are warned. :)

Reply to
Katherine W