Jalapeno peppers

I just began harvesting my peppers and was so looking forwrd to their adding heat and spice to many of my favorite recipes. Unfortunately, they do not seem to have any heat at all. Is this something that should have developed on the plant or will they get more heat while sitting. I have read that they get hotter when you freeze them, but I don't want to do that for all. This is my first year growing them and would love any tips,advice, etc.

Thanks, Joy

Reply to
Joy

Maybe you are picking them too early. Wait until they stop growing, them leave them on the plants for another week. If that fails, wait until a few turn red and see if they are hot.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

There's a lot of lore involved in the 'hotness' of peppers. And it is, indeed, variable. Fruits from the same plant can vary quite a bit. There are theories about heat (climate), amount of water, fertilizing, and every other variable you can think of. In my experience, peppers of all sorts that are left to turn from green to red are 'sweeter' than green. And freezing seems to take some of the hot out, rather than increase it. YMMV. Unfortunately for precise identification, there *are* now 'mild' varieties of jalapenos -- why, I can't imagine. You may have gotten one/some of these plants. Keep picking and tasting.

Reply to
Frogleg