jalapeno crossbreeding

I had thought I'd planted 1st generation jalapenos from seeds I collected from some planted bought ones. But they all seem to be 3rd gen yellow waxys. Do peppers cross pollinate easily or did I just mislabel my seeds? The plant labels just said jalapeno, so I've no idea if they were hybrids.

I had jalapenos and some waxys and a tabasco all in the same plot.

Reply to
Loki

They're great big, promiscuous hussies, but that doesn't mean you didn't mislabel the seeds. There are also yellow jalapenos, or ones that go through a yellow stage in ripening. I had some jalora jalapenos and some Wenk's Yellow Hots this year, and the ripe peppers could easily be confused.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

il Sat, 25 Dec 2004 22:50:53 -0500, Penelope Periwinkle ha scritto:

I was afraid of that, I guess we'll see for sure if the weather ever turns into summer. But do they hang down or poke up? These are all pointing upwards kind of. They look like the yellow ones, there are 2 plants that haven't produced peppers yet so I have my fingers crossed that they're slower jalapenos. Ahh but the orginals didn't go thru a yellow stage. Experience tells me I stuffed up is more likely :-)

Reply to
Loki

Yeah, but if the originals were hybrids, one of the parent stock might go through a yellow stage. You might be forced to taste your peppers before you decide! The Horror!

Cross Country Nursery has the best pictures, and the best descriptions of peppers that I have ever seen. Click on their "Check out our advanced search" tab, and you can sort on "Jalapeno types" "Long wax/banana type" or "short wax". You'll have some pictures to compare to your peppers.

Cross Country, btw, also has wonderful plants and excellent service; but I know they're a little pricey for some folks. My seed starting space is limited, however, and so I always order a few varieties that I only want one or two plants of, like Devil's Tongue; or new varieties that I want to try without investing too many of my resources, like this year I tried Dedo De Moca and Trinidad Seasoning. Or the ones that I can't find a reliable source of seeds for, like Pimento De Chiero.

Penelope, who's ready for winter to be over and for spring planting to commence.

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle