Is this watermelon ready to pick (picture included)? newbie here

this watermelon ready to pick? Planted this from seed around easter in the middle of south carolina. The thing that's confusing me is that the underbelly is already yellow (which i've read means it could be ripe), but I thought these were supposed to grow for longer. This is my first time growing watermelon. Thanks.

Reply to
Zarlot531

Has the tendril nearest where the watermelon's stem attaches dried up? That's another sign of ripeness.

Also, if you drag your fingers across the surface of the watermelon, you should be able to make out a subtle pattern of veins or stringiness running from the stem to blossom end. (This is something I always check for on watermelons I buy at the market.)

Size and time to harvest vary a lot, depending on the exact variety of watermelon in question, not to mention growing conditions.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

We use sound. Tape melon and compare to below sound.

Tape head = Not Ripe Tape chest = Ripe Tape stomach = Over Ripe

Reply to
Bill who putters

Mistake should be Tap.

Reply to