It's a real nuisance - I know my garden is frequently the toilet for cats all over the neighborhood. I've yet to hear of any reasonable solution :(
    -f

My local coffee shop makes used grounds available for anyone to haul away. If you spread it around the garden it greatly discourages cats (they don't like the taste when they lick it off their paws). As a beneficial side-effect, it kills snails and slugs and encourages earthworms.
On 2008-03-10, www.locoworks.com wrote:

I'm tempted to try a gadget with a motion-sensor that triggers a high-pitched sound (supposedly annoying to cats but inaudible to humans).
Has anyone here tried one? Does it work?
Erik Johnson wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it unless you are growing root vegetables, like onions or carrots.
The biggest problem I have with cats is when they dig up young plants in the flower beds.
I have a couple of dog (one of them is a big dog) and this year when I do my "spring cleaning" in the back yard, I'm planning to dig a deep trench in the garden. I'll bury all the dog mess, and later plant tomatoes over the top of it. I think tomatoes will like that.
Bob
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 08:56:43 +0000, Erik Johnson

Are feral cats allowed to stray or are able to trap them and have them removed by your local authority?

I'm not troubled by feral cats because I have dogs, but I need to take action to keep my own dogs away from my garden. I don't know the size of your garden but I generally find chicken wire on stakes suspended above the garden keeps my dogs off and would probably make cats go somewhere else.
--

Brett Greene.

If the motion sensor doesn't work it's time for a Have-A-Heart trap or a 22.
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:16:46 -0500, "J. & J. Doe"

Multiple sources of Escherichia coli O157 in feedlots and dairy farms in the Northwestern USA Preventive Veterinary Medicine, Volume 35, Issue 1, 16 April 1998, Pages 11-19 Dale D. Hancock, Thomas E. Besser, Daniel H. Rice, Eric D. Ebel, Donald E. Herriott and Linda V. Carpenter
Samples from cattle, other domestic and wild animals, flies, feeds, and water-troughs were collected from 12 cattle farms and tested for Escherichia coli O157.
E. coli O157 was isolated from bovine fecal samples on all 12 farms with a within herd prevalence ranging from 1.1% to 6.1%. E. coli O157 was also found in 1 of 90 (1.1%) equine fecal samples, 2 of 65 (3.1%) canine fecal samples, 1 of 200 pooled bird samples (0.5%), 2 of 60 pooled fly samples (3.3%), and 10 of 320 (3.1%) water-trough sample sets (biofilm and water).
No E. coli O157 were isolated from 300 rodents, 33 cats, 34 assorted wildlife, or 335 cattle feed samples. Indistinguishable pulsed-field gel electrophoresis patterns of XbaI digested chromosomal DNA and Shiga toxin types were observed for bovine and water-trough isolates from two farms and for one equine and two bovine isolates from one farm.
regardez