Is a Big Hunk of Steak Worth Almost 2,000 Gallons of Water?

Videos and books are useless. Our ability to do postures or form work incorrectly is tantamount. Find someone who you would like to have dinner with and conversation with. May be a hard task.³ When the student is ready the teacher appears.² Waxing again.

Hands On!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

It was enough for me... I only eat two meals per day. All I have time and stomach room for.

That was dinner. I had lunch at work around 2 am. That was a hard boiled egg and a nice tossed salad. ;-d

An alternative would have been a mess of steamed spinach leaves with the egg, or leftover chuck roast shredded into the salad.

Sausage and kraut would have done too.

Most of my carbs right now are coming strictly from leafy greens. I'm trying to lose weight. That half-ear of cotc was a compromise (I really wanted it), hence the portion control of 1/2 of an ear.

That is plenty of food for one meal... at least for me!

I also happen to LOVE greens! I need to plant more Chard this winter (back on topic), and maybe try my hand at some bok choy. Winter greens do well here. I just watch for freeze warnings and toss a sheet over them. It rarely gets below 20 degrees F here. I've also had good success with broccoli and kale, altho' I have found kale to be inedible and won't try it again.

I have yet to try growing cauliflower. I DO eat the cauliflower leaves tho' when I buy it from the store. Similar flavor and texture to cabbage, but milder.

Reply to
Omelet

I'm a red head.

I avoid the sun like the plague!

Reply to
Omelet

I don't have time. There is nothing wrong with a GOOD video...

Books can also help you make up your own routine for your specific needs.

I know what you mean about the "teacher appearing. ;-) I'm sure I could get a good referral from the Chiropractors office. It's actually a wellness clinic (more than one Practitioner works there for various things) so they are into all that.

Soon's I have the money to spare, I'll take advantage of their Biomeridian scan. Should help me to see if I've overlooked anything:

's 60 bucks.

Reply to
Omelet

Oh, you scientists with all your Latin and Greek prefixes, and suffixes and your cool little number thingies are always trying to learn more for no reason at all. It's probably just a taxonomist's conspiracy for full employment ;O)

Yes five kingdoms (what is with this aristocracy thing anyway?) of life and five states of matter, hmmmm. Maybe I should dust off some old books on pentagrams ;O)

Reply to
Billy

Of course it's not stressful, they're bleeding dead ;O)

That's what the pigs say ;O)

Reply to
Billy

Maybe if hogs (and other meat animals) ate a natural diet, we could eat a healthy diet. What price health? I see all the same gray heads nodding in agreement ;O)

Reply to
Billy

I think I said that.

Hmmm... Never thought of applying the pentagram to that. Maybe many of the taxonomists are Masons.

Reply to
Omelet

I meant shipping of the live pigs to the Abattoir.

I'm sure you can fine some ugly stuff on Youtube.

Reply to
Omelet

Okay, I'll look for that. :-)

Reply to
Omelet

You may already know this, but a lot of yoga videos claim to be for beginners and they aren't.

If the one you have isn't, my wife, a Kripalu yoga teacher, recommends the "Yoga for Dummies" videos (they go with the books) as being really good videos to start with.

Reply to
phorbin

Usually some organization, the "Y", junior colleges, Council on Aging, or community centers offer yoga classes. The nice thing about yoga is if you do the postures, the mind will follow. You aren't required to believe anything. But a good class can help you get the postures right, and then you can do that work, until you're prepared for more.

Reply to
Billy

The "Y" in the town I work at has yoga classes, but they don't fit my schedule. Plus, I just dumped my membership there for two reasons. They were $60.00 per month and their pool was always murky and overloaded with chlorine. It was bleaching my suit for pity sakes and burned my lungs!

I just joined the City owned family activities center here in town and am using their pool. Much cleaner and no kids. Plus, it's only $80.00 per YEAR for those that live in the city limits. They have a nice all machine weight room too that I'll eventually begin using.

I've not checked out their class schedule yet, nor the prices for them.

That is one thing about working nights. I allocate an hour or so in the mornings for exercise, and then I have to come home and get my chores done during the week before going to sleep.

And then there is the internet. :-)

I looked at my Google profile for last month tho'. I've had had to prioritize other things and my posting volume for July was down to 1/3rd of what is normally runs...

Reply to
Omelet

Even red heads can expose themselves to the sun in a way that will get them enough vit D. Pace your dose, no longer than 5 minutes in the sun at midday. And the sun is certainly the best source for vit D in terms of cost and pleasure. You can't garden without being outside so I'd certainly be using such a free resource. This site might help:

FarmI

I wear a sun hat and pants, and often long sleeves... ;-)

I'll pass.

It's too easy to get it in supplemental form.

I'd rather not get skin cancer. It's not worth it...

but thanks!

Reply to
Omelet

It's why I went looking for food sources. 1 oz. of dried Shitake has around 350 IU per oz. That's why I made a powder out of it.

Other benefits of Shitake are that it's one non-meat source of B-vitamins, (including B-12) and trace minerals. It's also reputed to have immune system boosting properties and many wood consuming mushrooms are anti-carcinogens.

Overall, it's a win-win food additive and not expensive in the dried form. Takes me minutes to make a pint jar of the powder and both dad and I happen to like it. :-) It's even good sprinkled over the top of meat dishes.

Vitamin D is heat stable so cooking it does not destroy it.

Since I've deliberately added more D to both our diets and in supplemental form, (neither of us take all vitamin supplements daily so I have to supplement it in food), dad's leg pains have gone away.

I'll run another blood profile here soon and see if his ALP (Alkaline Phosphotase) level is back to normal. That one lab result is what sent me searching for possible causes and resources.

The Dr. wanted to blame it on a possible liver problem as elevated ALP levels can indicate liver issues, but the other three main liver enzymes (GGT, AST and ALT) were all in normal range. If the elevated ALP had been increased along with those other three, then I'd have worried about a liver problem.

The simplest thing was D deficiency and since I'm in charge of making sure he gets good nutrition, (he'd eat nothing but spam and cheese omelets, and maybe some carrots if I did not cook for him!), I knew that that was one vitamin I'd not kept track of...

Neither one of us are fond of sunlight. I just plain don't LIKE to be out in the sun, and neither does he. Most of my gardening work is done at dawn, and sometimes dusk. It's too bloody hot to do it any other time of day here except late fall, winter and early spring.

Reply to
Omelet

Omelet wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com:

yup. they will happily munch down ground nesting bird eggs & hatchlings, as well as mice & baby bunnies. granted meat is a small part of their diet, but they aren't completely vegetarian if the opportunity for meat is present. lee

Reply to
enigma

Really! Learn somthin' new every day. :-)

Reply to
Omelet

There were sheep somewhere way up north in Scotland that were found to be eating little pelagic seabirds that were nesting on the coastal rocks. It turns out that the soil was very deficient in calcium, so the grass was, too -- they think the sheep were eating the little birds for the Ca in their bones.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

And at minimum, the key ingredient to killer homemade stock because of all the lipsmackin' gelatin.

Reply to
JustTom