Is a Big Hunk of Steak Worth Almost 2,000 Gallons of Water?

Page 7 of 13

Become a Breatharian:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia
--
Peace! Om

?????! That is to say, huh? I'm sorry. Where we talking about something?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative. Oscar Wilde
-----
- Billy
Bush & Pelosi Behind Bars

Oh! Sorrrrry. I miscon-screwed the whole post. Well since I'm here. The opposite of Good is BAD. The Opposite of Evil is SACRED. And then there are the spin doctors who will tell you the most horrible things need to be done in the name of GOD, Nation, and family without mentioning the most obvious consequences.
No "Ayn Rander" here. I'm an American and I'm not given to aristocracy. The greatest good for the greatest number works just fine for me.
Now that I'm rolling, I also want to mention that there are two methods to irradiating comestibles. One is with beta-rays (electrons) and the other is with x-rays or gamma rays. Beyond this short foray, I haven't gone very far. I read a short chapter by an environmentalist that didn't explain much leaving me to wonder why. Marion Nestle says there is a problem with irradiation and I've come to trust her point of view. At first blush, it doesn't seem like beta-rays would do much damage (tell it to the bacteria). On the other hand, x-rays would be the result of a lot of Cobalt-60 or, in theory, or Cesium-137 (extremely nasty stuff) being turned loose in the environment (becoming a commodity). It is still unclear to me what the up-shot of it all this is on the food and those who it it. So far what is clear is that it will reduce the need for sanitation, rendering the crap (literally) that you eat, non-pathogenic.
Bon Appétit
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

How about vitamin B-12 without getting it from an animal source?
--
Peace! Om

Never heard of vitamin tablets?

Like I said... ;-)
You wanna by a hypocrite vegan by eating vitamin tablets where the vitamins are derived from an animal source?
--
Peace! Om

Does yeast count?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Score one for Billy. :-) Yes, Brewers Yeast is one source of vitamin B-12 and it's in a separate kingdom. Neither plant nor animal.
Fungi are a delightfully low carb, high fiber source of a lot of unique nutrition.
I've been studying Stammet's books from FungiPerfecti.com and now do my best to include mushrooms as a regular part of our diets. I also happen to like them. <g>
I was looking for a good food source for vitamin D other than expensive salmon, or fish oil. Fish oil does not agree much with me. :-P
Dried shitake's are VERY high in D without being high in A. I keep those on hand as they are inexpensive at the asian market and rehydrated, they do will in recipes.
I took some of the dried caps and broke them up, then powdered them in the blender. Shitake powder is a very tasty food additive...
--
Peace! Om

When I was in school it was a plant :O( Since it isn't animal, I think it should be considered to be part of the nutritious vegetables.

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Times change... So to classification tables. <g>
After all, the guys that continue to review and change them have to justify their existence.
Fungi really are a unique organism all their own imho. They deserved their own kingdom.
--
Peace! Om

Oh, you scientists with all your Latin and Greek prefixes, and suffixes and your cool little number thingies are always trying to learn more for no reason at all. It's probably just a taxonomist's conspiracy for full employment ;O)
Yes five kingdoms (what is with this aristocracy thing anyway?) of life and five states of matter, hmmmm. Maybe I should dust off some old books on pentagrams ;O)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

I think I said that. <g>

Hmmm... Never thought of applying the pentagram to that. Maybe many of the taxonomists are Masons. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Huh???? Why on earth would you bother to pay for it when it is free? Sit in the sun and let your body make it for you!
In article

I'm a red head.
I avoid the sun like the plague!
--
Peace! Om

Even red heads can expose themselves to the sun in a way that will get them enough vit D. Pace your dose, no longer than 5 minutes in the sun at midday. And the sun is certainly the best source for vit D in terms of cost and pleasure. You can't garden without being outside so I'd certainly be using such a free resource. This site might help: http://www.naturalnews.com/003069.html
In article

I wear a sun hat and pants, and often long sleeves... ;-)
I'll pass.
It's too easy to get it in supplemental form.
I'd rather not get skin cancer. It's not worth it...
but thanks!
--
Peace! Om

In article

At least I'm aware of the issues with vitamin D deficiency. It's why I went looking for food sources. 1 oz. of dried Shitake has around 350 IU per oz. That's why I made a powder out of it.
Other benefits of Shitake are that it's one non-meat source of B-vitamins, (including B-12) and trace minerals. It's also reputed to have immune system boosting properties and many wood consuming mushrooms are anti-carcinogens.
Overall, it's a win-win food additive and not expensive in the dried form. Takes me minutes to make a pint jar of the powder and both dad and I happen to like it. :-) It's even good sprinkled over the top of meat dishes.
Vitamin D is heat stable so cooking it does not destroy it.
Since I've deliberately added more D to both our diets and in supplemental form, (neither of us take all vitamin supplements daily so I have to supplement it in food), dad's leg pains have gone away.
I'll run another blood profile here soon and see if his ALP (Alkaline Phosphotase) level is back to normal. That one lab result is what sent me searching for possible causes and resources.
The Dr. wanted to blame it on a possible liver problem as elevated ALP levels can indicate liver issues, but the other three main liver enzymes (GGT, AST and ALT) were all in normal range. If the elevated ALP had been increased along with those other three, then I'd have worried about a liver problem.
The simplest thing was D deficiency and since I'm in charge of making sure he gets good nutrition, (he'd eat nothing but spam and cheese omelets, and maybe some carrots if I did not cook for him!), I knew that that was one vitamin I'd not kept track of...
Neither one of us are fond of sunlight. I just plain don't LIKE to be out in the sun, and neither does he. Most of my gardening work is done at dawn, and sometimes dusk. It's too bloody hot to do it any other time of day here except late fall, winter and early spring.
--
Peace! Om

Actually it's just 'koalas'. Only American add the word 'bear', and the animal isn't a bear.

Use google. Look for Jain, Hindu and Buddhism. All these religions have adherents who have centurys long histories of vegetarianism

Yep. But it is not just "flour and sugar" which are the culprits.

????? There is no "stack" in the latest FDA food pyramid - it's side by side multi pointed triangle. In fact, I think it is remarkably unhelpful given the obesity problems in the US - it says nothing useful. http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/index.html
Are you writing about the older pyramid with the carbs in the big section on the bottom and the small fats and oils section at the top?