Is a Big Hunk of Steak Worth Almost 2,000 Gallons of Water?

Page 3 of 13
In article

You are absolutely correct that if we all ate plants and grains, there would be a lot more food in the world.
There are figures available that show the amount of grain/plant material consumed to produce a pound of meat, and some livestock are more efficient than others. (I had Ag classes in high school and college and they discussed this topic at length).
That's what somewhat regulates the price of certain meats, along with supply and demand of course, and processing costs.
To date, chicken and turkey are the most efficient converters which is why (along with mass farming practices) those meats are so cheap. Pig is next up which is why I can still get decent pork for under $2.00 per lb. for even the good stuff.
Beef is getting to be somewhat out of my reach. I only eat beef maybe once per week, tops. Lately it's been sliced up chuck roast. I like it rare too so it's a good thing I have good teeth. <g> I just finished eating about 3 oz. of chuck roast, 1/2 ear of corn on the cop, and a portion of 8 stewed chicken feet.
I'm stuffed. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

βœ–

EEWWWW!! Chicken feet...that is just wrong......
Add pictures here
βœ–

Great source of collagen. :-) Cheaper than taking pills for joint degeneration.
And they really are delicious. ;-d
Pressure cook them, (I get them pre-cleaned at the grocery store for about $1.29 per lb) with onion powder, garlic powder, shitake powder, salt free lemon pepper and dried dill weed. Bring up to pressure, time for 45 minutes then rapid cool the pressure cooker under cold running tap water.
Strain off the broth, then hide in your bedroom in front of the computer with a spit bowl for bones, and a salt shaker.
Mom taught me to eat them when I was growing up. ;-)
I've upped my purchase and consumption of them as a cheap source of collagen and chondroiten lately due to having discovered I have degenerative disk disease. The last two disks in the lower lumbar spine are pretty much gone.<sigh> Both the Ortho' and the Chiropractor have encourage me to take a 30 minute daily swim, and purchase an inversion table.
I have a jpeg of the x-ray.
I also have jpegs of stewed chicken feet and the resulting high collagen stock. <g>
There are many, many thai and chinese recipes using "phoenix claws" that can be googled! Most of them are far more complex tho' than simple pressure stewing. They really don't need much help for flavor!
--
Peace! Om

βœ–

Hope you can be well!
Bill
<http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/yoga-pilates-tai-chi/tai-chi-practi ce>
<http://www.laspeziataijiclub.it/page16.html
Of course you donΉt have to start out with this but slow and steady wins the race. Gradual progress.
<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJjuTNVs9MI

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Add pictures here
βœ–
In article

Thanks Bill!
I'll follow up on this in the morning when I have more time. I've got to hit the shower and go to work.
I appreciated it. :-)
--
Peace! Om

βœ–
In article

Well? Unlikely. ;-) Aging ain't for sissies! Better? Yes. Finish getting this flab off my sedentary ass and quit being so sedentary. <g>
The Ortho' surgeon says therapy and management is the best approach. Finally used my inversion table for the full 10 minutes this morning... That's gonna take some getting used to! I dropped my damned book and the cats all wanted attention!
Silly fuzzballs. ;-)

ce>
Very good site.

I actually purchased a yoga video. Have not started using it yet.

Nacherally!
All we are is Dust in the Wind...
I actually have a positive attitude about the whole mess. Sometime it takes a wake-up call to get us to do what we should have been doing all along.
--
Peace! Om

βœ–

Videos and books are useless. Our ability to do postures or form work incorrectly is tantamount. Find someone who you would like to have dinner with and conversation with. May be a hard task.³ When the student is ready the teacher appears.² Waxing again.
Hands On!
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Add pictures here
βœ–
In article

I don't have time. There is nothing wrong with a GOOD video...
Books can also help you make up your own routine for your specific needs.
I know what you mean about the "teacher appearing. ;-) I'm sure I could get a good referral from the Chiropractors office. It's actually a wellness clinic (more than one Practitioner works there for various things) so they are into all that.
Soon's I have the money to spare, I'll take advantage of their Biomeridian scan. Should help me to see if I've overlooked anything:
http://www.frantzclinic.com/index_files/HealthNews.htm
It's 60 bucks.
--
Peace! Om

βœ–

Usually some organization, the "Y", junior colleges, Council on Aging, or community centers offer yoga classes. The nice thing about yoga is if you do the postures, the mind will follow. You aren't required to believe anything. But a good class can help you get the postures right, and then you can do that work, until you're prepared for more.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

The "Y" in the town I work at has yoga classes, but they don't fit my schedule. Plus, I just dumped my membership there for two reasons. They were $60.00 per month and their pool was always murky and overloaded with chlorine. It was bleaching my suit for pity sakes and burned my lungs!
I just joined the City owned family activities center here in town and am using their pool. Much cleaner and no kids. Plus, it's only $80.00 per YEAR for those that live in the city limits. They have a nice all machine weight room too that I'll eventually begin using.
I've not checked out their class schedule yet, nor the prices for them.
That is one thing about working nights. I allocate an hour or so in the mornings for exercise, and then I have to come home and get my chores done during the week before going to sleep.
And then there is the internet. :-)
I looked at my Google profile for last month tho'. I've had had to prioritize other things and my posting volume for July was down to 1/3rd of what is normally runs...
--
Peace! Om

βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

You may already know this, but a lot of yoga videos claim to be for beginners and they aren't.
If the one you have isn't, my wife, a Kripalu yoga teacher, recommends the "Yoga for Dummies" videos (they go with the books) as being really good videos to start with.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Okay, I'll look for that. :-)
--
Peace! Om

βœ–

I thought that glucosamine and micronized chondroitin were the approved arthritis nutri-pharmicals? You go for a straight 1 to 1 replacement? Cartilage out. Cartilage in.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Pretty much. :-) Granted, the cartilage does not hit the bloodstream as such, but I figure it provides the building blocks needed as it's digested down into base nutrients.
Chondroitin is nothing but powdered shark cartilage.
--
Peace! Om

βœ–

And at minimum, the key ingredient to killer homemade stock because of all the lipsmackin' gelatin.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@nomail.please (JustTom) wrote:

http://i23.tinypic.com/n6cajc.jpg
Absolutely. :-)
That gelatin is also high in collagen, as well as minerals cooked out of the bone so if you can't handle eating the feet, increase the pressure cooking time to 1 hour and 10 minutes. Strain off the feet, place them into a separate bowl, let them cool and use them as pet food. Increasing the pressure time softens the bones to the point where they disintegrate, making them safe.
--
Peace! Om

βœ–

Well, when you put it that way... eewwww.

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broth.html
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@nomail.please (JustTom) wrote:

Hay! Gelled stock is the GODS!!! It melts back into a liquid. :-) That had just come out of the 'frige.
PROPERLY made stock is _supposed_ to gel like that. If it stays liquid in the refrigerator, you did not do it right! <g>

Nice. :-) Good chicken soup is often called "Jewish Penicillin" for good reason...
--
Peace! Om

βœ–

Yep, if it don't jiggle, you didn't do it right.
I make all of my own stocks...beef, chicken, rabbit. Medicinal value be damned, it just tastes better. And when it's from my own animals, bonus time.
Nothing better than rabbit/chicken pot pie or rabbit/chicken n dumplings made with a homemade stock. "Velvety", I think is the proper description.
Unless of course it's french onion soup made with homemade beef stock and a loaf of crusty bread. Holy moley.
To go back on forum target, throw in a few homegrown carrots, onions, garlic, celery, parsley, for an enhanced mirepoix, all's the better.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@nomail.please (JustTom) wrote:

Dad loves it and eats it cold.

Yep! Nothing tastier than stock from a "hard" rooster! The flavor is incredibly rich. That is, roosters over 6 months of age. The meat is only good for chicken salad. <g>

Good description! Say, I have a few wild bunnies in the freezer. Been cooking them in an Italian way. I may consider trying a stock from one or two, thanks!

Oh hush! <drools> I make french onion soup with all three colors of onions, pre-sauteed in butter and olive oil until they carmelize.
Then they are added to the beef stock.
I top it with Jack cheese instead of Mozarella and croutons.

I make stock with a standard set of aromatics with the meat/bones. Celery, onions, garlic, salt free lemon pepper and a bay leaf. I'll add carrots if appropriate (in small amounts as they can overpower) and with chicken feet, I skip the carrots and add dill weed.
Shrimp shell stock benefits from dill weed too, and it's one stock that WON'T Jell
Come to think of it, I've never had a fish stock jell.
Just chicken, beef and pork.
--
Peace! Om

βœ–