Is a Big Hunk of Steak Worth Almost 2,000 Gallons of Water?

Same with sweat.

Reply to
Omelet

Bill who thinks the issue is directly tied to self esteem. If I think of myself poorly it is difficult to think of the other well. This is very useful for governments inclined to war. See the book ³Faces of the Enemy.² Bugs me that all these books bantered about are not on the school curriculum and are hard to find and forget mass media.

For a review.

Anarchy (from Greek: ??????? anarchía, "without ruler") may refer to any of the following: ? "Absence of government; a state of lawlessness due to the absence or inefficiency of the supreme power; political disorder."[1] ? "A theoretical social state in which there is no governing person or body of persons, but each individual has absolute liberty (without the implication of disorder)."[2] ? "Absence or non-recognition of authority and order in any given sphere."[3] It should be noted that "ruler," if used in the context of the third bullet point, has no explicit connection to the term "rules." In an anarchy, as defined by the last bullet point, it is possible to have rules (laws), however, these must be agreed upon by the participants in the system, and not imposed from above, by a ruler (leader, authority). Some languages, such as Norwegian[4] have two separate words for the two meanings. A state, free from coercive authority of any kind, is the goal of proponents of the political philosophy of anarchism (anarchists).

Reply to
Bill

Interesting stuff, thanks!

I'm ALL FOR proper food labeling! For both irradiated and especially GE foods. I'm leery of GE foods due to us playing god by gene splicing. Unknown proteins can be generated by new, unknown RNA replicated off of man made DNA. I've had just enough genetics and cellular physiology to understand what that can do.

There is little difference in chemical structure between the proteins in egg albumin and rattlesnake venom for instance.

I'd be curious to see just how much irradiation alters food versus cooking and microwaving...

Reply to
Omelet

Oh no it hasn't changed. It's just a matter of availability. For instance if you were in the middle of the dessert or the ocean, that gallon of water is a lot harder to come by.

Reply to
FDR

They start water rationing here when our aquifer drops below a certain level. Lawns waste more water than cows drink and nobody eats them.

How can we say that agrarian agriculture (irrigation) takes any less water than raising cows?

Of course, you have to add in the water used to raise the grain to feed them. That grain would still be produced regardless and used for either food or ethanol production.

A more useful angst would be to complain about the TONS of food that is discarded daily by US grossery stores...

Reply to
Omelet

IME, I've seen anarchists in both liberal and conservative roles, but more of them seem to be conservatives.

Liberals like "big daddy" to take care of them so few of them are going to be anarchists... But I think a lot of them are atheists.

Reply to
Omelet

LOL!!!

Reply to
Omelet

Did someone cancel the old water cycle?

You know where you drink water then you pee then it evaporates in the sunlight and it then returns as rain?

Reply to
Pan

You would think everyone knew this little fact by now. ;-)

Reply to
Marie Dodge

But conservatives are always sayin' they want to shrink any regulatory bodies and that liber-als want cradle to grave big government. Whereas theists believe in a cradle to grave regulatory body (up-stairs) and atheists deny a regulatory body. So, IF we were cosistent, conservatives would be atheists and liber-als would be theists.

You know, dealing with people is kind of like pushing a string. right back at cha';-)

Reply to
Billy

That would depend on the dessert would it not? An ice cream float certainly has no shortage of liquid.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You're not leaving much room for agnostics and atheists but as far as I know he ran as a Republican ;O))

Reply to
Billy

Here the water is diverted to the south for people to grow lawns in the desert, wash their cars and, hose off their driveways and walks. Or it goes to farmers in the central valley who have been know to resell their rights to the water. (If you don't use it. You lose it.) Meanwhile, the salmon can't make it up stream because the water is low and warm, which takes away food and employment.

Grain to ethanol has already been shown to be a bad idea, so what we are seeing now is the corn lobby and the subsidies lobby at work.

Course if we pastured cows they could eat grass and improve the soil quality at the same time.

Hopefully some of that cast away food is finding its' way to Second Harvest or the local food bank, what with "food insecurity" on the rise.

You can't be far from Friedricksburg to write "grossery" store like that;-)

Reply to
Billy

Proteins or amino acids? If it's proteins, I'll have to reconsider my handling procedure for eggs. Don't want to get cut by no egg shell

Reply to
Billy

Sterilized crap is still crap ;O)

Nice whatever that is. Didn't get a lot of that in lab Sometimes I just don't know if I should or ;o))

Reply to
Billy

The trick is to do it a top the Continental Divide and have part got to the Pacific Ocean and the rest to the watershed of the Mississippi. It is said to be a cosmic experience.

Reply to
Billy

Hell, I don't even buy green bananas anymore.

Reply to
Billy

Now hold on there one mo ment.

Even at city rates, 2,000 gallons of water costs what, a couple of bucks? If that figure was accurate, beef would have to cost several times that, ... OK, maybe it does. So, when we buy beef, yes, if it's worth 2,000 gallons of water, then we have to pay for it, and the answer would be yes, it's worth that to whoever buys it.

Let's look further at the math.

But say a steer yields, what, 500 pounds of beef? Am I supposed to believe it takes 1,000,000 gallons of water to grow and process one cow? Is somebody bathing it daily for three years? Or does that also include the water it took to grow the grass, and build the slaughterhouse (prorated), yada yada? Still seems an unreasonably high number, given a couple of million (???) cattle per year, are we really spending trillions of gallons per year, on beef?

And if so, is that a big number, when it comes to gallons of water?

It's all a bit vague, and I think I am not shocked or offended (or credulous) until a lot of this is clarified.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

Hmmmmm. I've noted that those who possess the strongest "idealogical beliefs" are those who think that they can continue to burn it up, use it up and chuck it out and are the first to complain about the rising cost of fuel.

This sort of ideaology is based on accepted political and economic theory and it's becoming increasingly evident that this idealogy is failing.

Reply to
FarmI

Eating only animal products is unhealthy and doing too little activity for the amount of food ingested is what makes people fat.

Reply to
FarmI