Is a Big Hunk of Steak Worth Almost 2,000 Gallons of Water?

I'll also whack an animal (as in put him out of my misery) that is being a pain in the ass, but otherwise I'm with you.

We have always had our own, but still I'm with you.

Ops, I'm afraid that at this point an am going to have to split with you.

Not only do I not take all that great care of my garden, but I don't even hardly mess with wild edible plants or most flowers.

Not only do I not treat all edible plants with the best of care, I actually have tendency to go out of my way to kill them and eat there raw flesh while it is as fresh as possible.

;-)

Weeds I only bother if they bother me.

;-)

Reply to
CanopyCo

hth.

Reply to
JustTom

Become a Breatharian:

Omelet

Dad loves it and eats it cold.

Yep! Nothing tastier than stock from a "hard" rooster! The flavor is incredibly rich. That is, roosters over 6 months of age. The meat is only good for chicken salad.

Good description! Say, I have a few wild bunnies in the freezer. Been cooking them in an Italian way. I may consider trying a stock from one or two, thanks!

Oh hush! I make french onion soup with all three colors of onions, pre-sauteed in butter and olive oil until they carmelize.

Then they are added to the beef stock.

I top it with Jack cheese instead of Mozarella and croutons.

I make stock with a standard set of aromatics with the meat/bones. Celery, onions, garlic, salt free lemon pepper and a bay leaf. I'll add carrots if appropriate (in small amounts as they can overpower) and with chicken feet, I skip the carrots and add dill weed.

Shrimp shell stock benefits from dill weed too, and it's one stock that WON'T Jell

Come to think of it, I've never had a fish stock jell.

Just chicken, beef and pork.

Reply to
Omelet

I had a rooster nip me on a finger when filling up the waterers a while back. That's his one free pass, next time, he gets to be stock.

Hmm. Not much meat (or fat) on most wild ones I've seen. Let me know how it turns out. My domestic ones tend to dress out around 2 1/2 lbs, all white meat.

By italian, you mean in a marinara sauce over pasta? Good stuff.

Hot tip:

Same here. Use a "sticky" pan and then deglaze with red wine.

Don't like fish, but do keep shrimp frozen shrimp shells around for that purpose. It's definitely thinner.

Never pre-made a pork "stock', as most folks say it's really greasy and "piggy" tasting, and I didn't think it froze or canned well. Do you do pork ahead of time like beef or chicken, or just fresh when you make the soup?

Reply to
JustTom

so. over 200 messages exchanged, and 2 weeks of ongoign debate. what is the answer? yes or no?

Reply to
Simon

"There is no spoon".

Reply to
Omelet

There could be an attack staged from within, that looked like an alien attack. You know, just to drum up support.

sf

Reply to
jellybean stonerfish

Yes. Most definitely yes. 2,000 gallons of water is nothing. Gimme steak :)

Reply to
Zootal

Fatuous fowl feet for fancy foods finds few fervent followers ;O)

Reply to
Billy

Thanks for finding the flaw in logic - will revise my notes to "all edible plants in my care" :)

Agreed, It would be an endless task ;-) Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

Neither - Just simple bantering.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

;-)

Reply to
Omelet

Watch out for those spurs! Using those is what got roosters into hot water here.

Actually, a rabbit and veggie mix with Marinara, slow cooked. Wild bunny is tough.

Hm. I've not tried deglazing with wine. I do it with the beef stock.

But oh so rich... When I actually go to use the shells, I buy a lb. of head on shrimp so I can use the heads in the stock to make it even richer.

Great chowder base, or base for a white sauce for seafood.

My "pork stock" is generally made with ham and/or bacon. I chill overnight to defat. It's not the least bit greasy if you do that, and makes an excellent stock for beans, lentils and split peas. Ham bone has a LOT of collagen so makes a nice stock. This particular stock was made with just ham skin and trimmings. I'd given the bone to my sister per her request:

way to get rid of the musty "piggy" flavor of pork roasts after they chill is to stab it all over (about 1/2" apart) and stuff garlic slivers into the stabs, then top the roast liberally with fresh herbs. I cover the fresh herbs with cabbage or choy leaves to keep the herbs moist during roasting. Otherwise they dry out. The herb flavors soak into the meat thru the stabs for the garlic. ;-d

Reply to
Omelet

I'm just glad my local wal-mart sells them.

The advantage of living in an area with a high hispanic population!

Reply to
Omelet

I use a non-stick pot to brown my onions, either for soup or quiche. No caramelized onion flavor left in pot and onions seem to brown more quickly than in an enameled or iron pan.

Reply to
Billy

I tried it with and without the wine with stock and water as subs. Without it, the soup is good but just seems to be "lacking". I think it needs a little acidity to perk it up a bit and put it over the top into the luscious category.

Reply to
JustTom

Especially with french onion soup, though, "Fond is your Friend". You don't want the onion to brown quickly, you want them to caramelize long and slow so that most of the water has evaporated. You start with a really big amount of onion, and end with a greatly reduced, highly concentrated volume of tastiness. Just salt and layer them in a pot or electric skillet, and cook for at least 20 minutes before even thinking about stirring. Then stir occasionally while they cook down for another 30-40 minutes.

4 pounds yields about 2 cups!
Reply to
JustTom

Cast Iron rulz.

There is a difference in "browning" versus "carmelizing".

Reply to
Omelet

Hm.

I've been experimenting a lot with red wine vinegar lately (home made using some kombucha culture) and it really does "brighten" the flavor of a lot of stuff.

Reply to
Omelet