Is a Big Hunk of Steak Worth Almost 2,000 Gallons of Water?

Page 12 of 13
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 14:10:32 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Did someone cancel the old water cycle?
You know where you drink water then you pee then it evaporates in the sunlight and it then returns as rain?

Same with sweat.
--
Peace! Om

Pan wrote:

Oh no it hasn't changed. It's just a matter of availability. For instance if you were in the middle of the dessert or the ocean, that gallon of water is a lot harder to come by.
FDR wrote:

That would depend on the dessert would it not? An ice cream float certainly has no shortage of liquid.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

touche

The trick is to do it a top the Continental Divide and have part got to the Pacific Ocean and the rest to the watershed of the Mississippi. It is said to be a cosmic experience.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 14:10:32 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Now hold on there one mo ment.
Even at city rates, 2,000 gallons of water costs what, a couple of bucks? If that figure was accurate, beef would have to cost several times that, ... OK, maybe it does. So, when we buy beef, yes, if it's worth 2,000 gallons of water, then we have to pay for it, and the answer would be yes, it's worth that to whoever buys it.
Let's look further at the math.
But say a steer yields, what, 500 pounds of beef? Am I supposed to believe it takes 1,000,000 gallons of water to grow and process one cow? Is somebody bathing it daily for three years? Or does that also include the water it took to grow the grass, and build the slaughterhouse (prorated), yada yada? Still seems an unreasonably high number, given a couple of million (???) cattle per year, are we really spending trillions of gallons per year, on beef?
And if so, is that a big number, when it comes to gallons of water?
It's all a bit vague, and I think I am not shocked or offended (or credulous) until a lot of this is clarified.
J.

The meat on a carcase is only 50% of the liveweight, therefore you have to look at the liveweight.
Am I supposed to

Rough figures: Cattle are made up of about 80% water and they would drink between 10-40 gallons a day as an adult depending on temperature and feed. Grain fed would probably ingest at the higher range. Steers are killed somewhere between 1 and 2 years old cows at around 6 years.
FarmI wrote:

OK, that accounts for between 1/6 and 1/5 of it...
I think your 10 to 40 gallons is really high*, but I used 35 gallons x 30.5 days/month x 16 months = ~17000 gallons.
(I'm pretty sure whoever wrote that article was just pulling big impressive numbers out of their ass)
HTH ;-) Bob
*yep, way too high: http://beef.unl.edu/FAQ/200708040.shtml

Just to be clear, 17,000 <<<< 1,000,000
And a lot of cow piss goes to keep the grass growing, it is recycled immediately, add a little solar energy and a few weeks, and it feeds the next!
J.
In article

But if we saved the grain that feed four steer and, mixed it with the meat of a fifth, how many people could we feed then? We could add some oregano and rosemary, an onion and, a little garlic. Serve it with a nice salad and a red wine. People wouldn't have to suffer and we could feed many more people? The future is coming. A new-klee-are war won't improve America's chances of staying on top of the food and energy chain. For every smart guy that we have to solve a problem, China and India have four smart guys. The best we can do is level the field of consumption so that we aren't so freakin' conspicuous. "If our leaders want a war over resources, we should hang all of them", I heard someone say. Personally, I'm a peaceful man but I can imagine the umbrage that some might take for the slaughter of their loved ones for private gain.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
wrote in message

or we could just not grain feed steers. cattle aren't made to eat grain anyway & a lot of antibiotic use could be spared by grass feeding steers, with the added benefit of better tasting beef. cattle can graze on land that is less suitable for other agriculture, hilly, rocky terrain, for example...

if Monsanto, Cargill & ADM didn't own the elected officials of the US, agriculture would be far better off & we might become the breadbasket once more. greed is a terrible thing.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Eh, Caught me asleep at the wheel again, you did;o) Quite right, if the cattle stayed in the feed lots for more than six months they would be dead from stomach ulcers. So Mr. and Mrs. Joe public get a steak from confined, freaked out, crap covers, dying steer that is shot up with antibiotics. A steak that still has all the hormonal responses to stress locked into the meat, yum, yum.

Tell this to the average American who watches Fox news and they will think you are a communist.

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

well, there was a curve coming up ahead.. ;)

well, that's why almost all the small packing plants are out of business & it's illegal to sell farm slaughtered meat... people might find out just how *good* real, grass-fed, unstressed meat can taste. that would be a terrible blow to the big producers, you know, and put a serious dent in the drug & chemical company profits. can't have that!

there's a Fox News truck camped out down the road (that tornado in NH last week). i really want to stop & kick them a few times... lee <doesn't like tornados>
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Freaky, you beginnin' to sound like FarmI ;o)

Who needs a reason any more? Just tell them that it is on account.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Indeed...
--
Peace! Om

Give the girl a kewpie doll! She's soooo right.

This is basically how I do it. I've not had to use any antibiotics that I can ever remember in the years I've been raising them.
I'm not feeding the world though, so quality over quantity is my model. Problem is those methods aren't cheap, and quite a lot of folks think food should be cheap, and that model really isn't practical for large urban areas.
Wild part is that cheap food is rapidly catching up in price. Transportation costs are making "eat local" an even more logical choice. It would be a wonderful side effect of the fuel crisis if it actually pushed more folks to buy local foods and they discovered flavor again.
snipped-for-privacy@nomail.please (JustTom) wrote:

The "fuel crisis" seems to be pushing a lot of positive changes. :-) People are driving less and this reduces pollution, and the newspaper had an article the other day (in San Antonio) that traffic deaths have been reduced.
<giggles>
I'm also planning on hitting the Chevy website and taking a look at the "Volt". If it's not priced out of range of the common man, it'll be a real nice thing to be able to purchase...
--
Peace! Om

A lot of positive changes indeed. I have been considering a new car, one with an E85 engine. I priced a still for $1,500. I have been considering growing corn and make my own fuel. One farmer in my area is doing this now. The only difference between me and him, he knows what he is doing.
Enjoy Life ... Dan
--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.