Is 37-5-5 fertilizer too much for corn?

I have some 37-5-5 fertilizer for grass. It its release time nitrogen. Can I use this for corn or is it too much nitrogen? The guy at the garden center said it might be too much nitrogen and the corn will shoot up too fast where it wont produce corn. Is this true? Thank you

Reply to
Joseph A. Zupko

A 'w " Corn requires as much potassium as it does nitrogen to produce good yields. Potassium is needed to build strong stalks, fight diseases, and translocate water within the plant. The primary symptom of potassium deficiency is chlorosis (yellowing) followed by necrosis (tissue death) along lower leaf margins, beginning at the leaf tip."

have a particular interest in potassium as my sandy soil is deficient in it, by its nature and also, quite likely, because of previous agriculture use.)

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

The fella with the earliest and most successful corn in a community garden sprinkled the stuff that's pure nitrogen around the very young plants, and they grew like rockets. I think the one early application was all he used. It would probably be counter-productive later in the plant's development.

Reply to
Frogleg

I use lawn fertilizer on my corn. I'm not sure it's 37-5-5 but it's about that. I tend to apply a little 10-10-10 to the entire garden just before planting. Then, only the corn gets the lawn fertilizer when it is about a foot tall. From my experience it must be nearly impossible to give enough nitrogen to cause no production. I think the plants would die first.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I personally quit using synthetic fertilizers anywhere in my garden when I found out that they (synthetic-chemical-fertilizers) don't feed the worms. I feel it is more important to feed the worms and let them convert the food, I give them, into plant fertilizer, they do that very well. The fact that they do it 24/7 for free has nothing to do with my decision! Gary

Reply to
Gary