Ironite Questions?

Page 3 of 11

The politicals may try to control just about every thing but the best forecast for tomorrow remains today . Yea I know it is a cooler August but I read that the Salt H2o is being diluted and won‘t hold solar gain as well. So a cold winter this year. Mad Man told me this too. (Accuweather severe weather gay actuality it was a blog post.)
<http://www.whrc.org/resources/online_publications/warming_earth/scientif ic_evidence.htm>
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Drip irrigation might work well there. The best garden I ever had was in central Texas in 100+ degree heat and thin poor soil. I'd been struggling to garden there for several years, and finally I set up an inexpensive drip irrigation system and mulched everything that wasn't leafy enough to thoroughly shade the ground itself. The garden just exploded (in a good way.)
Bob

Try nematodes for that relationship, then try finding live ones locally

oh poor me I guess you'll just have to kick back and retire from gardening

You're wanting to buy the wrong stuff at the wrong places and then disappointed that you can't, or you get overcharged :(
"Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote in message wrote

For what relationship? ???

Why should I do that simply because I can't afford the things YOU can? Clue #1 - Not everyone has your income. :-)

I can only shop at the stores that are here. There's a nursery that carries bone and blood meal and I think they still have Fish Emulsion. It would be several hundred dollars to purchase enough for our gardens. People are not buying these high priced items. They're going for the bags of General Fertilizer and Ironite.

How much is it in the US? I bought a 2 litre container for about $12 about 3 years ago and I'm still using it up. I have about 3 acres of garden.
wrote in message

I'm talking about *ALL* the organic stuff I would need for *ALL* of our the gardens.

Did I misplace a decimal somewhere? I'm sure you said 900 square feet was the size of your garden.
Are you from the school that if a little does good, more will do more good?
You are way out of kilter with what such a modest garden would require.
I'll also make note of something you said in another post. You said that you put leaves directly on the garden in the fall and till them in in the spring. I would suggest composting the leaves with grass clippings in a separate compost pile. High carbon directly on to the garden has a tendency to steal away the nitrogen. You want to satisfy compost's nitrogen need before it hits the garden. That will also allow beneficial microbes to develop and supply high levels of beneficial humic acid.
Steve Young
"Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote in message wrote in message

The three gardens come to roughly 900 to 1000 sq. ft. combined.

No. I wasn't raised to be wasteful.

You're 100% correct but we don't have enough grass clippings and no one to rake up those we do occasionally have. They're sparse, light and left to decay on the lawn. The lawn is some kind of Bermuda grass that is fine and needs little mowing.

Arsenic poisins the central nervous system, likewise copper and lead. I'm not going to say it but...
One application of greensand will work for many years, unlike ironite or seaweed which will quickly break down.
Hi All, What is greensand.?
Richard M. Watkin,

A mineral rich product people use in gardens.
Hi Marie, Thanks, but still not a lot wiser.
Richard M. Watkin,

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 16:10:42 +0100, "R M. Watkin"
<properly snipped and egregious top posting corrected>
<greensand>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensand
Penelope

and dumb.
You probably have seen the reference to greensand in Wikipedia, so let me describe another thought. One pound of iron (shavings would be best but use what you can get) in a plastic bucket, pour one can of cheap soft drink over it and wait 24 hr.. If iron remains, repeat soft drink addition. When iron is dissolved, it will cover 100 sq. ft.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Billy wrote:

Why go to all that trouble (to make ferrous phosphate/carbonate/citrate) when ferrous sulphate (copperas) is so cheap?
If you have iron filings, just sprinkle them around the garden.
A pound of iron should cover a lot more than 100 ft^2, but you're also not going to dissolve it that easily. (Me thinks you are just pulling this out of a dark place)
Bob

I have been in error before, but I don't baffle gab. Now what lead you to your egregiously erroneous conclusion?

http://www.garden-ville.com/4429490_36600.htm
ferrous sulfate ---> FeSO47H2O (most common)
at. wt. Fe = 55.845 S = 32 O = 16
SO4 = 96
H2O = 18
FeSO47H2O = 278
Fe / FeSO47H2O = .2 = 20%
---------------- Greensand 17% iron: 40 lb bag good for 700 sq. ft.
1 - 40 lb bag = 6.8 lb iron
6.8 lb iron / 700 sq. ft. = 0.00971429 lb / 1 sq. ft.
0.971429 lb / 100 sq. ft.
You can do arithmetic, can't you Bob?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

(Me thinks you are just pulling

Like a lot of other stuff you're going to read on these gardening groups. And if someone can't afford to buy and pay shipping costs on everything recommended, they're insulted, degraded, belittled and more. I can see why so many of the old posters from the 90s are no longer on these two groups.

It's turned under, not left on the surface.

I called all over looking for greensand and no one knew what I was talking about. I was offered play sand for kids sandboxes and coarse sand to mix with concrete. The Nursery in a nearby city knew what it was, but they don't carry it and can't (or wont) order small amounts. The people on this NG apparently are wealthy enough to buy all these expensive organic products and have them shipped. I simply cannot afford that. The cost of gardening would be so prohibitive it wouldn't pay to garden at all. We're lucky we found the place to get free mulch to compost... only $4 for the gas to get there and back with a load.