Interesting trip today

I needed to buy a large quantity of pots for the plants I started in the greenhouse. So we went to an organic farm and supply. Found the pots I wanted and a few other items. Then got the tour of the greenhouse.
They had basil, tomatoes and romaine lettuce planted in boxes filled with gravel. In the front there was a fish tank with about a dozen talipia in it. They pump the water from the fish tank through the gravel in the boxes. The plants take the nutrients and the remaining water is filtered and pumped back into the fish tank. The fish are fed organic cat food because they cannot find organic fish food. In a couple of more months they will pull the fish out to eat, clean the tank and then put the bunch of minnows into the main tank. It is a neat system.
--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation,

Sounds like the kind of set-up I read about in science fiction novels about large space stations. Fascinating.
Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

In article

That sounds weird, but it is going in my self- sufficiency/renewable-resource file!
Thanks...
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /

Ken

Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation,
susan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

fish.
I've got a heavily planted aquarium and I can keep almost twice the number of recommended fish-inches in it and still have healthy water.

type of filtration that escapes me right now. Anyway, I was amazed how many fish were crowded into such a small body of water. -RP