inner city vineyard - what do you think?

http://www.wkyc.com/news/story.aspx?storyid 7098

Not that unusual. <http://www.frenchgardening.com/visitez.html?pid 07244084166471>
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would cut Social Security and Medicare,
On 8/15/2011 7:32 PM, Billy wrote:

Good. Wife lived on Hough Avenue in Cleveland when she was a child and later it became a slum after they moved. Nice to see things are improving.
'Billy[_10_ Wrote: > ;933107']Not that unusual.

--
echinosum

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 18:50:34 -0400, Frank

Good to see-- but you don't need to take the buildings out- http://www.glenwoodnyc.com/manhattan-living/nyc-rooftop-gardens-and-urban /
This one was featured on a news show a month or so ago-- http://rooftopfarms.org /
3 stories up in Brooklyn- a great view of Manhattan & 6000 square feet of garden. And its a CSA to boot with a bunch of local eateries buying their wares.
They grow "cucumbers, hot peppers, tomatoes, eggplants, spinach, radishes, kale, swiss chard, carrots, peas, beans, salad greens (lettuces, mustards, arugula) herbs (sage, tarragon, oregano, parsley, chives, cilantro, dill), and flowers (cosmos, zinnias, calendula, tobacco, daisys, hops). Additionally, the Farm grows a small amount of corn and squash (winter and summer)." [and honey-- don't forget the honey<g>]
Jim

Where are absorbed toxins stored in the grape plant? Leaves? Roots? Fruit? Inner city soil is typically high in lead and various other pollutants.
I have an urban organic garden on my property, and what edible plants I grow (a fair number) are grown entirely in soil I had trucked in and build beds with. Just being near city streets will have deposited much lead from car exhaust, and who knows what else was dumped in the yard before I bought the house?
Even if I did drink wine, I wouldn't drink that wine until I knew about more about this question.
Priscilla Boston, MA

Residues from herbicides, pesticides, and air pollution would settle on the outside of a plant. Absorption from the soil is unlikely in that roots facilitate the passage of certain nutrients which are required by the vine, leaving undesired compounds and minerals to decay or wash away with a rain.
If wine is made, the yeast will absorb any heavy metals that it may contain. The clear wine is decanted (racked) away from the sediment (including the yeast), which results in a wine, free from toxic levels of heavy metals and/or pesticides.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would cut Social Security and Medicare,
In article

That's certainly not true of carrots. They'll collect lead from the soil. They're one of the worst vegetables to plant in polluted soil.

Ah, OK. Thanks.
Priscilla
Billy wrote:

Brewers yeast is highly nutritious. Some eat it deliberately. I've done so with the yeast from my home brewed ale. I also tend to use the yeast from any of my brewing as fertilizer in my garden for any of it I don't eat. So I take it if I have any suspicion of mineral contamination I should not do that. Got it. Much less a problem with grains from the home brew shop to make ale than home grown grapes to make wine. Got it.
Thnx

Wow! So interesting to read you agree with what we have been saying for so long. Also amazed to read the" birds" actually admit to using organophosphates on their little commune. The pseudoscience thingie not working so well, huh?