immature grapes are disappearing

I have a robust (table) grape plant, but something is picking off the immature grapes as they first bud. I had ants walking on the plant up to a few weeks ago before the buds emerged. I killed them off with ant baits located on the plant and on the ground. The only pest I've seen now is a couple of bound-up leaves with caterpillars inside. I've been able to kill all of them - there were probably only ten so far. Occasionally, I see some wasps flying around. Any help is appreciated.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

It's normal for the small grapes that came from flowers that didn't get pollinated to fall off. On mine, some of the tiny grapes fall off the cluster leaving most of them to continue on. Could this fit what you are seeing?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Two to 3 millimeters sounds about right but.... but.... pre-flower stage? Do you mean to say that it's not really grapes falling off but flower buds? I just went back to your original post to try to make sense of this. Are you talking about the tiny buds that would turn into the entire cluster of grapes and not just a single grape? I bet that's it and I don't know what is going on. I can't think of anything that would eat them but not the new leaves. Maybe a neighborhood birds has developed a taste for those buds?

Steve

Ed wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Yes, it is the little buds. Last year, the surviving buds did turn into grape clusters, but the percentage left was quite low because of this [it was the first fruiting year for this plant so I didn't question it - and there were the ants and an occasional snail]. I'm wondering how growers [can] deal with this. Hopefully, before it's too late, I'll get a chance to visit one to find out what they know. I'll follow up if and when I learn more.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

It turns out the culprit is a moth that's larvae destroy the grape buds. Physically have to remove them and look for more [supposedly destroy that infested plant]. If anyone knows of a good moth/larvae killer safe or easily washable, please let me know.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Katra

I've had issues with cabbage worms and am fixin' to try some bacillus treatments here.

Reply to
Katra