Identify insect on bean leaves

The edges of my pole bean leaves appear cut and turn back, and under each part of the leaf that is turned back is a small worm. I would like to identify the insect and find out how to control it. Thanks, John G.

Reply to
JJGrey

I always keep my beans dusted with Sevin powder when they are young. Grandma did this, mom did it, and it has worked for me for 60 years. I don't wait to see the pests cause they always find me sooner or later, (or I should say they find my beans). If your into organic and don't like chemicals solutions I recommend a solution of garlic cloves and mild (non-detergent soap) Safer's sells a good one.

Bad Bob

"Cook him till he's blue, and smother him in onions."

Reply to
Bad Bob

caterpillars .. use BT ..(bacillus thurengiensis.. hope that is spelled right).. comes in powder or liquid. Liquid would be easier to get on all leaf surfaces if you have a garden sprayer.

BT only affects caterpillars.. it paralyzes their gut. while they don't drop dead immediately, they stop feeding, in a few days turn to a bag of juices and fall off! Muahahahahahaha ;-D

It's not a pesticide or poison. What part of the world you in? I've never had anything on my beans like that.

Janice

Reply to
Janice

I am in New Orleans, La. I hadn't grown beans in a long time. I have grown mostly okra, tomatoes and peppers and had never seen this kind of pest. These worms are very small, not quite 1/4" long, have a light colored body and a darker head. The best way that I can describe the damage is if you took a scissors and made small snips at various distances along the edge of the leaves and then turned the flaps back. Maybe someone knows the name of this pest. I searched under "pests of beans" but could find nothing. John

Reply to
JJGrey

Though I've never read about such on beans, that certainly sounds like the action of some type of leaf-rolling caterpillar, for which Bt (Bacillus thurengiensis, sold under various brand names) would be a safe and effective control if hand picking is impractical.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Ahhh bound to have more problems in warm climates from pests..no frosts to kill 'em off!

BT should kill them. Hopefully there aren't a lot of them, as someone else has mentioned hand picking may be the most expedient solution if there aren't a lot of them.

I'd take one to your local agriculture extension agent to see if they can identify them. May be they'll be very interested in them! Up here in Idaho, we have a different pest on beans, and since it's an agricultural state, and beans are one of the large crops, they go to the extremes of canvassing homes door to door asking people if they have a garden and if they're growing beans, and they want to inspect them to make sure there are no Mexican Bean Beetles on them. They are lighter orange than lady bugs, and have 13 spots, and their legs and another part of them I think are light colored rather than black.

So, it's a good idea to see if you can get it identified, but yes it is very difficult to find information on the larval stage of pests, any of them. There are some photos of the larvae in the pest books that I have, but by and large, they aren't provided.

This may be what you have: Bean leafroller.

photo of larva

start of the page that discusses the pest, shows the butterfly that lays the eggs etc.. and shows something eating worm.

Hope that's it.

Janice

Reply to
Janice