ID this, please

Something got planted in the deck garden and escaped a label. Since several family members were digging through the seed envelopes (of which there are at least 150, many with no photos or drawings) and plating that day, I have (almost) no idea of what it is.

It was placed along side the pots that have lettuce spinach and greens, so I am guessing it might be some sort of edible, but frankly, it would be nice to confirm that. I have boldly tasted a leaf and it is peppery - in fact, similar to a green pepper taste.

I have a bunch of Asian vegetable/greens seeds with no English on them. Something along those lines perhaps? The leaves are not soft, as spinach would be, they are bendable, surely, but more stiff. The plants are about 12" tall right now.

Nevertheless, with all the fun had by everyone the day of planting, this might be anything. Mystery can be interesting, I suppose. Please don't let me lead you down the primrose path with the info above.

Any help is appreciated.

Boron Elgar

It looks a bit like sweet potato but not exactly.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Alas, that is one thing I am sure did not get planted.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

It could be Mirabilis(Four-O'-Clocks) not yet in bloom... If you are sure it is a vegetable then maybe it is New Zealand spinach.

Reply to
McGerm

It almost looks like it could be some sort of exotic basil-ish sort of thing, which would have square stems. But I can't convince myself one way or the other, based on the pictures.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

of pepper plant.

Reply to
Omelet

Juat noting that basil is easily tested for by squashing a leaf and smelling it.

Reply to
phorbin

I reckon that's it, see

David Hare-Scott

This may be on the right track, as I have some seeds for Holy (Thai) basil, and, if I recall correctly from previous years, it doesn't resemble the standard Italian-type basils at all. I'll check later on. Thanks.

Reply to
Boron Elgar

I have peppers of all sorts growing and even the most adventurous among the family would not have dropped that much pepper seed into one pot.

Nevertheless...

Boron Elgar

And I will try that.

Thanks

Reply to
Boron Elgar

The leaf edges of the NZ SP are irregular and this has smooth edges.

Crazy, eh?

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Did you by chance have pepper seeds in there? Kinda looks like one of the Korean green pepper plants albiet a bit wide at the leaf base. The leaves of chiles are sometimes used as a green. A suggestion for IDs is to put a common point of reference, such as a short ruler, a coin, etc. in your pic. Too far from your decking to get an estimate of the leaf size.

Reply to
gunner

Hard to do that with a picture. 8^)

And some of the more exotic Asian/Thai basils I've tried, while very aromatic, don't exactly look, taste, or smell like the more familiar Italian basils.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

We grow ocimum sanctum which is quite has a different scent and a somewhat different conformation from the basic spice basils but I'd bet that any basil leaf would tend to smell quite different from a crushed spinach leaf :-)

That said, We have a red kale variety (we got from a friend who got it from a friend) that smells like a mild incense when cooked. Raw, it has a milder than usual but distinctive brassica scent and taste.

Reply to
phorbin

Nothing aromatic about the plant at all. I crushed a couple of leaves yesterday just to assure myself. It doesn't look like any other basil I've grown or am growing, either.

As I said, the puzzle may be from a seed envelope with no picture and only Asian lettering - or it may be some sort of amaranth. I'll let it grow and see if it sets spikes/flowers.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

I have mixed hot peppers planted, but not in any sort of profusion, such as this. Pepper leaves are not quite as "tough" as these leaves are, either.

As I mentioned, the height of the plants is 12", so the leaves are about 3" long, as you can see in comparison to that indicated height.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar