ID of ?edible pea

Can anybody give me an ID on this pea?
http://box.net/public/richwrig/dfiles/ClimbingPea.jpg
It grows in late winter/early spring (Sydney, Australia) as a climber up to 3 m (10 feet).
The pods, which are reasonably sweet and tasty, have a peculiar appearance of being closed by a purplish zipper.
The location is on the edge of a communal vegetable garden but none of the community is ever there when I pass by.
What is the speciesd/variety? Is it edible?

Interesting. My browser (Arachne) said the file was not any format it recognized, so I downloaded the file to take a closer look. I tried a DOS viewer ("Picture Viewer") on it and nothing was displayed apart from a message that the file was a damaged jpeg file. So I tried another viewer (dvpeg) and this time the photo was displayed with no problems. So it seems that there is something non-standard about your photo conversion.

Pin a note with your question to the plant, along with your phone number and a 20c coin.
I've added in aus.gardens to canvass local knowledge. Hope that's okay.

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 22:37:53 GMT, John Savage

Thanks John. I got the info from the group that this is Dolichos lablab (Lablab bean).
http://www.floridata.com/ref/D/doli_lab.cfm
Your experience with the image got me a bit worried. Before posting I had reduced it in size by IrfanView. Now I have downloaded to see if I have problems. Can open it in IrfanView, in Microsoft Photo Editor and can import into CorelDraw 9. Have never previously had complaints about JPEGs saved with IrfanView.
snipped-for-privacy@tig.com.au writes:

Explorer, Etc.), regardless of what other programs it will or not open in. Just drag the image (file) onto your open browser and it should display.