ID of ?edible pea

Can anybody give me an ID on this pea?

grows in late winter/early spring (Sydney, Australia) as a climber up to 3 m (10 feet).

The pods, which are reasonably sweet and tasty, have a peculiar appearance of being closed by a purplish zipper.

The location is on the edge of a communal vegetable garden but none of the community is ever there when I pass by.

What is the speciesd/variety? Is it edible?

Reply to
Richard Wright

recognized, so I downloaded the file to take a closer look. I tried a DOS viewer ("Picture Viewer") on it and nothing was displayed apart from a message that the file was a damaged jpeg file. So I tried another viewer (dvpeg) and this time the photo was displayed with no problems. So it seems that there is something non-standard about your photo conversion.

Pin a note with your question to the plant, along with your phone number and a 20c coin.

I've added in aus.gardens to canvass local knowledge. Hope that's okay.

Reply to
John Savage

Thanks John. I got the info from the group that this is Dolichos lablab (Lablab bean).

experience with the image got me a bit worried. Before posting I had reduced it in size by IrfanView. Now I have downloaded to see if I have problems. Can open it in IrfanView, in Microsoft Photo Editor and can import into CorelDraw 9. Have never previously had complaints about JPEGs saved with IrfanView.

Reply to
Richard Wright

Any jpg file should open if it is opened in a browser (Netscape, Safari, Explorer, Etc.), regardless of what other programs it will or not open in. Just drag the image (file) onto your open browser and it should display.

Reply to
Glenna Rose