I want to try starting cucumber seeds, so I have cheaper stock to experiment. Can I do it now in South California?

I want to try starting cucumber seeds, so I have cheaper stock to experiment. Can I do it now in South California?
I have got the seeds from Gurneys. What is the better and most sure way to do it?
I have a lot of empty plastic cups, paper cups, etc, etc, Can I do it with just these siupplies, without buying anything?
I don't know if there is time for them to produce this year. But I always start from seed here in Oregon. I just poke them in the ground and give lots of water. But I plant them toward the end of may or first of June, depending on the weather. They are just now starting to produce.

Thanks, Anna!
I am in South California. I am not sure if I do the right thing, but it seems that most I am going to looze is about $1.50 in seeds. Now if it works, I will somewhere in 2-3 weeks have a seedlings to plant outside. I experimented with cucumber seeds, tomato seeds, and parsley seeds.
I have tried this weekend to srtart the seeds. I have found on Internet something that tells how. This is how:
1. I take old newspaper. 2. cut a strip of paper about 4 inches wede and about 2 feet long. 3. Wrap paper around a cup. 4. Stick loose end of paper in the cup hole. 5. Take out the cup. 6. Now I have made a cup from paper. 7. fill it up with little of soil mix (bought from store--seed starting soil). Make sooil mix little wet. 8. Stick a seed in the soil. Not very deep. about 4 width deep. 9. put cups on a trau. 10. Cover ray with plastic bag. 11. Let it stay inside the house.