i thought i was done

for the season but some friends had some bags of stuff to bring over for the gardens. the weather is holding in a fairly mild spell for a bit and the ground has not frozen yet so sure why not? :) it was nice to do a little digging yesterday to get it all buried and to say hello to the wormie friends again.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Oh Songbird! You will never be done. This is an obsession like trout fishing. As soon it gets too cold outside, you will be scouring over seed catalogs.

Hope your wormie friends don't get too made at you for the "cold food" again! Yo can always get even with them by adding some medical waste (Kale) to the bin! :-)

And before you know it, you will be nursing/pampering the poor little dears in little tiny pots trying to get a jump on the growing season.

You do realize these guys have turned us all into slaves. "Oh, do you want some more water? There not enough poop in your soil? Are you warm enough? Are you cool enough? Do you have enough sunlight? A BUG! A BUG! A BUG!"

Can't figure out if a smiley face or a frown goes here.

T wrote: ...

you do know that what you write above is not how i garden? i keep things very simple.

i don't do starts here much at all. no room indoors and we keep it too cool most of the time anyways. i wait for the ground to warm up and plant most things towards the end of May.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I was in a stupid mood waiting for something to download

I have started doing the start because I can not plant outside until the second week of June do to overnight freezes. Then everything gets killed in October. The growing season is very short.

I have a black thumb. You are a total inspiration.

-T

silly you! :)

actually, you've got a few more weeks than i do as we can get our first frosts in mid-to-late September. we may plant earlier though.

if you keep brainwashing yourself you may not see it happen, but learning how to grow things (or at least practice benevolent neglect) can take some time and even the best of us have our failures. by far there are others in this group who know tons more than i do (i can't identify plants or trees very well for instance while Pat, David and Fran seem to know plants by their scientific names at the drop of a hat).

what i lack in complicated nomenclature i try to make up for in basic things like reading about soil sciences and looking at what people are doing all over the world for regenerative and restorative agriculture/gardening.

one recent project i was looking at was the sadhana haiti project. very inspirational given that down there is so very difficult.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Eat your heart out bird, we're still harvesting eggplant, tomatoes, and sweet chilies plus harvesting broccoli and about seven different greens. It's 74F outside and threatening/offering rain. Move south.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

George Shirley wrote: ...

not likely to happen. Ma's happy here, and i'm happy here too. besides i enjoy having time off in the winter to do other things.

songbird

Reply to
songbird