I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of?

Page 1 of 2
Peas, peas, peas, and more peas.
Every 3-4 days, I have at least 13 gallons of peas to pick, shell, wash, blanch, and freeze. Do this every year, but seem to have a lot more than usual.
Not really sick of them, but they (& the work mostly) are getting rather *old*. LOL. Was even seeing them in my sleep last night...go figure!
What have you had excess of in your garden this year that you are *sick* of?
Rae
On 7/31/07 10:22 AM, in article 46af4203$ snipped-for-privacy@news.intrstar.net, "rachael

Nothing yet, but I'm just starting to harvest.
I have a recipe someplace for a "fresh pea" soup that is tasty, cool and minty.
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I'll take that recipe, please, if/whenever you have time to find it & copy.
BTW: don't think email went thru yesterday, but you have snail mail on the way...
rae
On 7/31/07 10:39 AM, in article 46af45e5$ snipped-for-privacy@news.intrstar.net, "rachael

Showed this AM, but I'm being lazy
Cold Pea Soup From Linda Larsen, INGREDIENTS:
* 1-1/2 cups frozen baby peas, thawed * 10 oz. can ready to use chicken broth * 1 cup half and half * 1 celery stalk, chopped * 1 lettuce leaf, torn into pieces * 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint * 1/4 tsp. salt * 1/8 tsp. pepper
PREPARATION: Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender, cover, and process or blend until smooth. Chill thoroughly before serving. Sprinkle a little more fresh mint on each serving. 4 servings Sponsored Links
Salsa.

We're not doing anything on that scale, but we do have lots of hot peppers (about 2 dozen plants, roughly, most of which are bearing well). And, you see, one doesn't put very much hot pepper in each dish.
My boyfriend assures me that we'll just have more to freeze this way. I'm wondering whether he is planning on activating the currently unused basement chest freezer just for his peppers :-).
As for peas, we planted only a short row of edible pod peas (reduces the shelling, at least). Next year I'll grow more if I can think of where to put them.
Jim Kingdon wrote:

You can make hot pepper vingar...if y'all like hot sauces... I have put up 6 quart jars of it so far with my extra cayennes.

our peas are crowders & black eyes varieties.
main type (ie, the ones I am constantly picking) are dixielees, purple hull, and cow-eyes

So do you need to cook this and seal the jars (can them)? I tried to figure it out from Stocking Up and I mostly got confused. I probably should figure out the whole canning thing but when I read up about high acid, low acid, vinegar, salt, etc, etc, etc, I can get overwhelmed (and not always sure which advice applies in a given situation).

Ah, OK. That makes sense when I think of them being harvested this far into the summer.
I tried to clarify things in my mind by researching the kinds of peas/beans in the world. Some of the more common are:
Vigna - cowpea, crowder peas, (one kind is black eye peas), and others (warm weather, drought tolerant) Pisum - green pea, split pea, etc (a cool weather crop). Includes sugar snap peas & similar Phaseolus - green beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, and others (a warm weather crop) (there's a table partway down at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bean ).
There are other edible legumes too which aren't one of the above (soy beans, chickpeas, etc).

Try this site if not for music ( A little heavy on the beat ;))) maybe canning which is what you want to know about. We used to do pickles,tomatoes and jams. The easy stuff. Meat I think requires extra care. Stocking Up is a good book.
Bill who has blue canning jars with metal locks but not energy to use them.
http://www.freshpreserving.com /
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Jim Kingdon wrote:

All I do is wash the peppers, and place them whole in a glass or plastic jar. Old mayo jars & peanut butter containers work. Then pour vinegar (i use cider vinegar) in the container until full. Place in cupboard or fridge. No need to seal. The jars will keep for as long as the vinegar keeps. (quite a while!)

Yeah, I picked more peas yesterday...they keep producing here until after the first frost hits. Of course, the production rate will taper down before then.

The local deer took out our Malabar this year and almost everything else. Shot one in the ass with my BB gun who was munching our baby Japanese maples.
Guess you know sweet potato vines can be used the same way.
Bill
PS new neighbor asked if his dad can hunt on our lands.
Duh
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
William Wagner wrote:

lol, we had one trying to hunt in our pasture last year.....dummy, he was. had another dummy who's best hunting dog thought our horse here at the house was a deer...real bright I'd say.

By Duh I meant it was a given or please do. These guys hunt in Montana every year. Not stupid by a long shot. Pun.
Serious hunters that eat their kills.
Deer here eat everything as do the new ground hogs that came here in the last three years. I'd guess habitat loss is the reason for the encroaching loss of our gardens.
Bill who has a deer about 30 feet from my house often.
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
William Wagner wrote:

Yeah, I figured that.........but these self-proclaimed "rednecks" around here aren't too bright, if they think they are going to find deer in fenced in pastures....

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:22:31 -0400, rachael simpson
M u s t r e s i s t......... d o n ' t t y p e
G e o r........No........must not say it......
Yes, say it! NO! must not type Bu................no!!!!!!!
BUSH beans!
Charlie
Charlie wrote:

lolololol...........yeah, I'd say you got it bbbbaaaaddd!!!
although, i thought you might've said habaneros...lol
WOW!!! I can't believe squash doesn't have a vote yet. It certainly has mine. Steve (on my way to the garden to pick it again :( )

Summer Squash and Zucchini.
I can't go over to my in-law's house without returning with a bushel full.
I think they're almost done though. Thank heaven!
-Tim S. New Jersey, 6b

I read a book that stated "the only time country folk lock their car doors at church is during zucchini season". Said it all for me.
snipped-for-privacy@use.net writes:

I used to feel that way about zucchini, even said I'd *never* grow it. When our children were young, it seemed like half the town gave us zucchini, always, of course, overgrown!
I say "used to feel that way" because on this forum someone suggested drying zucchini. Zucchini chips are delicious. If you are fortunate enough to have a food processor, slice them with the thinnest slicing blade, then dry in your food dehydrator. They will melt in your mouth. This was the first time I ever actually like them. Since first trying that, I've gone on to use very young (small) ones to saute, etc.
Glenna
BTW, my birdhouse gourd and luffa plants are finally growing, even have multiple blossoms on the gourd that has been in the ground the longest. Maybe this will be the year I have both, they all look very healthy.