I ate a beet

A little bit here and a little bit there and it all adds up.

Eat Here, by Brian Halweil, p.162.

"Households with a bit of land might be surprised at their capacity to satisfy some of their own food needs with a garden. In Cuba, the 104,087 small urban and suburban gardens in the form of patios, container plants, and "popular gardens" in tight locations between houses and streets actually yield more produce on just 3,595 hectares than all of the "organoponics" and inten- sive market gardens combined.15

  1. Fernando Funes et al. (eds.) Sustainable Agriculture and Resistance; Transforming Food Production in Cuba(Oakland, California, Food First Books. 2002) p.227.

Gonzo, keep on, keepin' on.

Reply to
Billy

Amusing.

Last time dad bought some fresh beets and I cooked them for him, he'd forgotten about that "side effect". About a day and a half after I fixed them for him and he ate the entire bunch in one meal, (I'm not much of a beet root fan, I like the greens), he came into my room after going to the restroom and asked me if I could think of anything that would make it look like he had a rectal bleed.

I continued with my e-mails and just said one word. "Beets".

He calmed down and finally recalled that factoid... He is 75.

We don't serve fresh ones very often. I buy the salt-free canned more and they don't do that.

Reply to
Omelet

Golden beets don't do that.

Reply to
doofy

Red ones do.

Reply to
Omelet

but not golden. ;-)

Reply to
doofy

Hm, do I really want to go there?

Reply to
Omelet

Don't tell me that a proctology convention is breaking out here:-0

Reply to
Billy

Reply to
Omelet