Hydroponics

There do not appear to be any Hydroponics newsgroups and the Hydroponics listserv I was using shut down a few years ago.

Does anyone know where the Hydroponics people congregate on the Internet?

Dick

P.S.: If you have any tax question, try misc.taxes.moderated. It's free and has no spam.

Reply to
Dick Adams

There is a Google news group but it is a bit long winded.

Bill

-- Fermez le Bush--about two years to go.

Reply to
Salmon Egg

i see many are congreating in garden chat rooms, thru differnt portals like yahoo

Dick Adams wrote:

Reply to
sequoia8

I googled a bit and found this mailing list

'm not able to speak to how good it is, or isn't.

I'm surprised that there's not a usenet group for it. You could always start one.

Reply to
Steve Calvin

Reply to
wawwiz

And if being used for legal purposes, you care, why?

Reply to
Steve Calvin

One time my son drove me to a rather crowded hydroponics store. My son and I both independently noticed that someone was paying for some rather expensive equipment with five dollar bills. My son commented that I was probably the only one there interested in growing tomatoes.

Bill

-- Fermez le Bush--about two years to go.

Reply to
Salmon Egg

If the equipment is being used for legal purposes, why should you be placed on a gubmint list of criminal suspects?

Reply to
Usenet2007

I find it hard to believe that even 20% of everyone going into a hydroponic store is there to grow drugs. although that gentleman probably was.

I am interesting in growing tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, raspberries, and strawberries. I'm more interested in light requirements for each plant, ppm levels etc. theres enough info in building various systems all over the place, but I have not found anyone talking about different vegetables.

well if the war on drugs has done anything, its keep us at the grocery store for produce...weeee

gogreen

I don't know where you're posting from, but in North America, that number coincides nicely with published "user" statistics.

It's a real shame, too, since hydroponics are a valuable addition to many gardener's toolkit.

Reply to
Just Another

1) It's NOT a list of criminal suspects. It's a list of people who have purchased equipment known to be used for criminal purposes. 2) Want to purchase a still? Just go to Sears and they will sell you one since it's perfectly legal to distill water. But they turn over a list of buyers to the ATF periodically. 3) Go buy a gun. You need a permit and the gun has to be registered.

SO WHAT!

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

If your local librarian is a friend, ask them about what they're required to report nowadays.

(If they're not already a friend, you'll only raise suspicion, which they're required to report.)

Strange times indeed.

Reply to
Just Another

Reply to
wawwiz

Reply to
wawwiz

Reply to
wawwiz

It's been a long time since I purchased a weapon, but is this generally true? If I go to Walmarts and buy a shotgun, I have to be registered? What about if I got to a gun show? Or buy from a friend?

Dave

Reply to
J. David Boyd

Only handguns, and then only from registered gun dealers. Private purchases, gifts, and inherited handguns are exempt.

In some locales you're also required to demonstrate safe handling proficiency, too. Here in California you have to show your DOJ (Dept. of Justice) card, indicating that you paid a dealer to show you how not to point it at things you don't intend to shoot.

Reply to
Just Another

Depends on the State.

Reply to
Omelet

That depends on the State. Here in NY if you buy a pistol, you first need to be approved by the police department after background checks, etc. Rifles and shotguns don't require a permit or police check but the store must run a cursory check and the weapon is registered to you. Does that stop me from selling a shotgun or rifle? No. Pistol? Absolutely.

As for being on some freekin' list? I really don't give a rats ass. If I'm not doing anything illegal why would I?

If I'm growing tomatoes with hydros and they wanna come see 'em, come on ahead! Wanna take my guns, well, now they may have a problem there, as with any gun owner I suspect.

People spout all the time that the gov. will use this information to confiscate all guns. Ain't no freekin' way.

There are WAY too many people who legally own them that they wouldn't have a chance.

Now... if someone's into illegal activity and gets busted for those lists then I'm all for it.

Reply to
Steve Calvin

I believe possession of an unregistered hand gun is a criminal offense in some juristictions.

You must be thinking of beer and wine which has a limit of

100 gallons of beer and 100 gallons of wine per adult with a limit of 200 gallons of each per household. In St. Mary's County in Maryland, bona fide residents can sell homebrewed native wines and cider from their houses. Home distillation is not legal through the United States, its territories, and its possessions. But in New Zealand you can brew and distill all you need. In the Australian Capital Territory and in the of South Australia, you can grow up to 7 marijauna plants at one time.

More booze sounds good to me!

Absolute agreement.

In early December of 1980, I was at a house party and was discussing plans for an upcoming social organization New Year's Eve party and said "It will be $45 per person and $60 per couple." When asked what was a 'couple', I replied "It's two people who registered together." The person who asked the question then began a salvo of questions like "Do they have to be married?; do they have to living together?; What if they are gay?". My repetitive response was "Did they register together?"

Someone who never met either of us said "It's easy to tell how you just voted." Another person in the room started laughing and, pointing to me, said "He's a yellow-dog Republican" and, pointing to the other person, "He's a knee-jerk liberal."

One last note: It doesn't take much to weed out the conservatives from the reactionaries.

I will post no further on this subject as it has more to do with politics than gardening.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams