Huge but green tomatoes?

One of my plants has quite a few very large tomatoes but they're not ripening. They're so big their weight has them either sitting, or nearly sitting on the ground. I'm afraid they're just going to split. Should I pick them and hope that they get ripe sitting on the kitchen counter?

Buy a package of knee hi nylons, gently sack up the tomato in it while leaving it on the vine, then stake it up to support it.
I do that with melons growing on a trellis.
Cheers!
--
Om.

Quoting OmManiPadmeOmelet:

Yes, that works quite well. Also good for protecting the fruits from birds.
Fry em!
I actually do not like fried green tomatoes, but my wife loves them. Do get them off the ground, I use survey tape for tying but used stockings would be perfect for you. Hoist them up. If they have any color (other than green) then they will ripen on the counter.
Our tomatoes are pretty much finished for the year in NE GA.
John!
snipped-for-privacy@noplace.com wrote:

If you are afraid of losing them I would pick them and make chow or let them ripen on the counter. maybe just tying them up will help them get off the ground. If you leave them on the vine just keep an eye on them.
My plants went in late because of poor weather and are just now ripening.
--
:) Lynn

< snipped-for-privacy@noplace.com> wrote in message news:NnsSe.1156$jh7.360@trndny06...

We had also tomato which is over 1 kg per fruit (1.1 - 1.5) but all are rippening. And inside a lot of "meat" and less seed, excellent, but less resistant to diseases, so we had a lot of fight with diseases (agrotechnical, chemical measures), and every second day need check for diseases

Tomatoes ripen at night. Have you been experiencing cold nights? If so, put down some black plastic around them, on the ground. Also, don't pick them if they're green. Pull the entire plant out, roots and all, and hang it in a protected area. A lot of the tomatoes will go ahead and ripen if you do this, then you can use the green ones for whatever.
GA pinhead: I picked two of the monsters that had a slight orange/red tint and they seem to be ripening nicely on the kitchen counter. The smaller tomatoes that I've been picking from the container plants are much smaller but have a lot of meat vs. seeds and are very tasty. I'm hoping these big boys are the same.
belly: Our nights have been quite cool. To try the black plastic idea I'll throw a black garbage bag until one section of the plant and see what happens.
Thanks all.

Put 'em in a bag with a lemon or orange.

Bannana... ;-)
--
Om.