Huge but green tomatoes?

One of my plants has quite a few very large tomatoes but they're not ripening. They're so big their weight has them either sitting, or nearly sitting on the ground. I'm afraid they're just going to split. Should I pick them and hope that they get ripe sitting on the kitchen counter?

Reply to
<nowhere

Buy a package of knee hi nylons, gently sack up the tomato in it while leaving it on the vine, then stake it up to support it.

I do that with melons growing on a trellis.

Cheers!

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Fry em!

I actually do not like fried green tomatoes, but my wife loves them. Do get them off the ground, I use survey tape for tying but used stockings would be perfect for you. Hoist them up. If they have any color (other than green) then they will ripen on the counter.

Our tomatoes are pretty much finished for the year in NE GA.

John!

snipped-for-privacy@n> One of my plants has quite a few very large tomatoes but they're not

Reply to
GA Pinhead

If you are afraid of losing them I would pick them and make chow or let them ripen on the counter. maybe just tying them up will help them get off the ground. If you leave them on the vine just keep an eye on them.

My plants went in late because of poor weather and are just now ripening.

Reply to
Lynn

We had also tomato which is over 1 kg per fruit (1.1 - 1.5) but all are rippening. And inside a lot of "meat" and less seed, excellent, but less resistant to diseases, so we had a lot of fight with diseases (agrotechnical, chemical measures), and every second day need check for diseases

Reply to
Displayed name

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 01:48:29 GMT in , graced the world with this thought:

Tomatoes ripen at night. Have you been experiencing cold nights? If so, put down some black plastic around them, on the ground. Also, don't pick them if they're green. Pull the entire plant out, roots and all, and hang it in a protected area. A lot of the tomatoes will go ahead and ripen if you do this, then you can use the green ones for whatever.

Reply to
belly

Yes, that works quite well. Also good for protecting the fruits from birds.

Reply to
Suze

GA pinhead: I picked two of the monsters that had a slight orange/red tint and they seem to be ripening nicely on the kitchen counter. The smaller tomatoes that I've been picking from the container plants are much smaller but have a lot of meat vs. seeds and are very tasty. I'm hoping these big boys are the same.

belly: Our nights have been quite cool. To try the black plastic idea I'll throw a black garbage bag until one section of the plant and see what happens.

Thanks all.

Reply to
<nowhere

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 00:20:50 GMT in , graced the world with this thought:

Put 'em in a bag with a lemon or orange.

Reply to
belly

Bannana... ;-)

Reply to