How to use ChemPak formulations?

First year at growing vegetables. Don't know anything about previous history of the soil... it's clay/chalk.

Took it over last November and dug, dug, dug clearing as much weed as possible and left it rough till Spring this year . Raked it lots to remove stones and produce tilth. Now I have 5 beds to rotate in the order: Potatoes, then Onions/Leeks, then Legumes, then Brassicas, then Roots, then Potatoes again to restart cycle. Most crops are now in.

But not knowing soil history , how to feed plants?

I am thinking of applying ChemPak No 2 (high nitrogen) to everything until July and then switch to ChemPak No 8 (low nitrogen , high potassium/phosphorus) for rest of season except for Brassicas.

Legumes would get ChemPak No 8 throughout growing season as they dont need a lot of nitrogen.

Does this make sense?

Yours... Hairy Legs

(South East , UK)

Reply to
Hairy Legs

Get/do a soil test, so you're not blindly adding expensive stuff you may not need.

Gary Woods

What/how to do soil test?

Reply to
Hairy Legs

Watching "Country Matters" last night the farmer there seems only to use nitrogen. Now to cut unnecessary fertiliser he is using aerial mapping then a GPS controlled fertiliser applicator, should we club together and buy one? ;-)

Reply to
Broadback

Wow!!

I only got 150 sq metres. I just use watering can!!

Yours... Hairy Legs

Reply to
Hairy Legs

A well-stocked garden center should have soil test kits available. Some kits are only for testing pH, while others contain the necessary stuff for checking soil nutrients. If you don't have a retail outlet nearby which sells these kits, here's a google search with some U.K. sources:

JoeSpareBedroom

You can get PH meters, but if you do, check it out with something like vinager, I have had 2 and both were wired in reverse.and showed vinegar as being very high PH, and not acid I phoned the firm about the first one so they sent me a replacement, and said keep the other. A bit of work with the saldering iron corrected the problem. Also have a look at

less than Chempack and are very similar in composition and usage. Have you thought of foliar feed instead?
Hill

Reply to
Dave Hill

Are not the Chempak formulations soluble in water and can be applied as a foliar feed?

Reply to
Ed