how to prune fig trees??

I have a couple of fig trees here in Maryland. Yields initially were good, but the trees are now about 12 feet tall and the fruit is mostly near the top. When and how should I prune? Should I do it right after I harvest the fruit? Or should I wait for the winter? Also, how low down do you prune?

Thanks,

Lee

Reply to
LG1111

You know, for this year, the limbs are very flexible. You can pull them down to pick the fruit. I prune every 2 to 4 years, in february, take about

1/3 of the tree, shape it as desired. Len
Reply to
len