How raised is raised

Page 1 of 3
We are ready to till up our garden, and want to raise it in beds or platforms so us old people don't have to bend over so much. Is it practical to raise them to desk level, or is just a foot or two sufficient? I would think that whatever you made the raised bed from would rot from water and gook within a few years. And then, if you use cinderblock or cement, you're talking high cost and a lot of skilled labor.
Help appreciated.
Steve
--
-Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.-

On 11/3/2008 3:43 PM, SteveB wrote:

Raised beds are generally done to improve drainage in heavy soils, not to make the beds convenient for people. If you wish to raise your beds for your convenience, do them as high as you want. Just remember that the higher you make a bed, the stronger you must make the frame.
I have one raised bed, a square just about a foot high and 40 inches on a side. This is for a Mineola tangelo because citrus needs soils that draing very well while my soil is adobe clay. The bed is framed with a single layer of unmortared cinder blocks. I filled the holes in the blocks with potting mix and planted wax-leaf begonias in them.
I also have a raised miniature circular bed that is about 6 inches high and 15 inches in diameter. This is for a foxglove plant. The bed is framed with a cereal box that I cut apart and stapled to create a ring. I expect this frame to decompose, by which time the foxglove roots should hold the raised soil together in a mound.
The rest of my garden is at the original level. I'm 67 and have a bad back. I work much of my garden on my knees. I use a step bench that can be turned upside-down; under the step is a 1-inch pad of foam rubber for my knees. The legs (for when it's right-side-up) assist me to stand up. Right-side-up, it's very handy for sitting and resting. See my <http://www.rossde.com/garden/tools.html ; scroll down a little past half-way.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

You, David E. Ross, are without a doubt one of the most arrogantly ignorant twits ever encountered in this group!! No, I take that back........you are just a dumb fuck!!
Val

What the hell is up with that Val?
Yeesh!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot

Having just arrived in this news group, although I follow several others on a regular basis; it is interesting to observe that many of them have their resident nitwit, idiot or ill mannered lout or louts. The above posting here, by someone called 'Val', seems to confirm the fact?
The use of language that calls a person a 'twit' or arrogant seems ill mannered and not supported by any facts?
I found the posting by David Ross somewhat factual towards answering the OPs question; also providing some other personal info/experience that was pertinent.
Ah well. Guess the poor (in this case poorly motivated?) are, as it is said "Always with us".
After a long wet and not too warm but sometimes humid so called summer here, we are now having a wet and warm fall. No leaves on the trees, they've all blown away! In passing blueberries and other wild berries did not seem as plentiful this year.
Cheers.

I've also built two raised beds with unmortared cinderblock 3 bricks high, and that hardly takes skilled labor. ;-) I like them but do have to add soil to them every year.
Not that that's a bad thing.
I like them.
One is for asparagus and the other is for dad's medicinal flowers such as marigold and purple cone flower.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot
Omelet wrote:

You live where the ground doesn't freeze.
In article

Wanna bet?
Granted, not as bad as where you are, but it happens. I'll sometimes tent stuff with old sheets and run a clip lamp out there when I get freeze warnings.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot

Where you live you'll get an occasional light frost that will affect plants (really just dew freezing) but you don't get a hard freeze where the ground freezes solid.

Where you live you'll get an occasional light frost that will affect plants (really just dew freezing) but you don't get a hard freeze where the ground freezes solid.
----------------------
Another case of geographical location specific advice. Quite common here. All must read with a grain or more of salt to judge if such advice is appropriate for themselves.
--
Dave

If it looks like fish, smells like fish, its not
"Dioclese" wrote:

Don't you know how to construct a sentence properly, what's with all that broken English gibberish? You express yourself with baby talk, may as well type goo goo gaa gaa. Dioclese, you should be ashamed of yourself demonstrating so poor a level of communitating skills in a public arena, ridiculous sentence fragments make you look the buffoon. If you are going continue participating with Newsgroups you will definitely benefit from a remedial writing course.
I happen to know Omelet's location and climate but it's up to her to post any particulars.
In a gardening group particularly if anyone cares to have their queries taken seriously they need to post their location, clearly and with a degree of specificity so that folks can reply in a utile manner... it's never the responsibility of posters to search for and decipher code.
"Dioclese" wrote:

Don't you know how to construct a sentence properly, what's with all that broken English gibberish? You express yourself with baby talk, may as well type goo goo gaa gaa. Dioclese, you should be ashamed of yourself demonstrating so poor a level of communitating skills in a public arena, ridiculous sentence fragments make you look the buffoon. If you are going continue participating with Newsgroups you will definitely benefit from a remedial writing course. __________________________________________
Hmmmm. Great 'communitating' skills Sheldon.

Hmmm, indeed. You might brush up on the proper use of the semi-colon; you might check out run together sentences, too, Sheldon. mle
In article

Not overlooking the fact that this is a gardening forum and not on English grammar. Posters often take great liberties with the English language without chastisement from self important little twirps, such as you. Let's take a look at your little work of art.
"Don't you know how to construct a sentence properly (The sentence needs a period or a conjunction)(Properly should precede construct, as it is an adverb and sentence a noun. Otherwise, you sound like someone's affected maiden aunt.) You express yourself with baby talk, may as well type goo goo gaa gaa. (This is an event that took place in the past, which requires a past tense: expressed. What did you just do, if not express yourself in baby talk, and this is in reference to what element/s of Dioclese's post?) Dioclese, you should be ashamed of yourself demonstrating so poor a level of communitating skills in a public arena (This is freakin' USENET you idiot. You're lucky not to get flamed;O), ridiculous sentence fragments make you look the buffoon (You didn't build much of a case for your opinion, Shelly. Actually, it looks as if you have indicted yourself.) If you are going continue participating with Newsgroups you will definitely benefit from a remedial writing course. (We would all benefit from a writing course, but of what benefit is it, in this particular news group,except, perhaps, to keep certain self-important, "toffee-nosed" gits away from you?)
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars
wrote in message

Kudos to you, sir.
Steve
wrote in message

Funny. I understood him perfectly. Does that make me as stupid as you think he is?
Hmmmm. Lemmee see .......... yep, this is a gardening group, and not alt.properEnglish ......
Steve

Now I'm confused.
'Him' meaning Sheldon or 'him' being Dioclese?
And are you addressing Sheldon or Farm1?
Does that make me as stupid as you

Everyone thinks Sheldon is slightly doolal. Dunno about Dioclese, but given s/he is posting on usent then s/he has got to be suspect too.

Yebbut my petunias use more proper English than many posters....................

Hmm...Google was no help with "doolal".
All I could find was "doolally" which seems to fit the context.
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/print.aspx?refidV1503823&search=doolally
Definition: U.K. an offensive term meaning irrational ( informal )
Is that definition close?
Hi All,
be given>

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/print.aspx?refidV1503823&search=doolally
From what I can gather from people who were in the British army. There is a place called Dolally, if you were sent to this camp nothing happened and you ended up going mad with sheer boredom. that is were th phrase came from. hope this helps you.
Richard M. Watkin.
One material I haven't seen recommended is stabilized rammed earth - not for the OP, but they could presumably hire out the labor. You'd build a simple, low open box (just 4 walls). The advantage you get here is the mass will help warm the bed earlier in spring, stabilize temps in the fall.
Stabilized earth is a clay mix with 5-10 percent cement added to it, compressed using simple form works (in Africa, two boards are held together with rope). Pound a "lift" of material 6-8 inches until it rings, repeat until desired height is reached.
Cement is bad, but you are not using a lot of it, and it makes it possible to create the raised beds out of normal construction site waste (subsoil). Nothing else needed, will stand up to rain/snow. If you live in a freezing clime, you will need a base of gravel to prevent frost heave.
This is a LOT more work than the other suggestions, but I was struck watching a DVD of monks who tended a garden. Their garden had some low, 1-wall beds that warmed early in the season, and they were able to shovel snow off the beds for planting early crops. Really remarkable simplicity.
Offered in the name of the radish spirit!