How long can I leave potatoes in the ground? (in leu of storage)

The longer you leave them in the ground, the more chance they have of rotting from too much rain/water, and insect damage.
Dwayne
Boboed said:

I harvest my potatoes from under a heavy mulch into December or January (if it hasn't been too cold or snowy). Essentially, they stay there until they get used up or locked away by frozen straw mulch. The biggest risk is damage from voles. Otherwise, they stay crisp and perfect. I've even occasionally pulled some still good potatoes in the spring.

I live in the Pacific NW. I just pulled some up today, and I'll dig up more when I put the garden to bed in October. But I do my best to keep them in the ground through the winter, and dig them as I need them. They keep better in the ground then they do in the fridge. When spring comes, I do my very best to get them all when I spade up the garden for spring planting. No matter how hard I try, I always miss a few, which is why I never need to actually plant potatoes any more.
--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
snipped-for-privacy@st-tel.net writes:

Which, fortunately for some, varies with location. I leave mine in the ground until I'm ready to use them. Those that don't get dug (translated: found), grow in the spring. Very few have been lost, probably even fewer than if they'd been dug. Do note, though, that my garden has exactly drainage and has been unbothered by underground critters.
This year, however, after reading the post about storing them in the ground covered with straw, that is what I shall likely do. I will partially bury one of those plastic barrels and store in it.
Glenna