How do you use your excess bell peppers?

I can't believe someone would put msg on their own food. I spend lots of time trying to avoid it, and make sure the chinese restaurants don't use it. They lie a lot.

Reply to
doofy

Rotsa ruck trying to avoid MSG, it's naturally ocurring in many, many foods...even in yer Mama's (or yer girlfriend's) breast milk.

A tiny bit helps as a flavoring agent, the problem with MSG in Chinese restos is that years ago many over - used it as a flavoring agent, thus it's bad rap. "Accent" was a big - selling flavoring agent back around the 60's or so, it's largely MSG. Since then we've generally become more knowledgeable and sophisticated about flavoring enhancers (herbs, spices,,,,), Accent is not used like it once was. IIRC you can get the same effect of too much MSG by using too much salt...and salt is naturally ocurring in most everything too. Just don't over - do it...

A number of people who complain about "too much MSG" in Chinese food are simply having a reaction to the very high levels of salt used in some Chinese food...

-- Best Greg

Reply to
Gregory Morrow

I dislike bell pepper.

So I use my excess by leaving them at the grocery store.

Or, if eating out, by decorating the edge of the plate with them.

--Blair

Reply to
Blair P. Houghton

Peperonata! Sautee some garlic in EVO oil and add bell peppers roughly chopped, some finely chopped onion and a little water to keep it wet for the first 10 minutes of cooking, over medium gas. Add very few tomato sauce, reduce fire to low, cover, salt and let go for about half an hour or so. It makes a nice side dish with almost anything, and someone also uses it to dress cooked plain rice or pasta. You can obviously add some hot peppers to give it more strength. A friend of mine used to make his "pizza ai peperoni" by simply baking a disc of pizza dough and then topping it with peperonata and shredded mozzarella. It can also be served cold but lukewarm is better, and hot smoking is the best.

Reply to
Vilco

I'm sorry for you ;)

Reply to
Vilco

It is very potent stuff. You only need a tiny bit. 1/8t maximum in a stir fry (one extra large plate full). I only use it if I'm not adding meat. It makes a difference.

The way you see the stuff, sold in huge containers, can only suggest that many folks use FAR more.

--Bryan

Reply to
Bobo Bonobo®

Not for me. I like salt. MSG causes other odd problems.

Now they use fake foods, like autolyzed yeast extract, and possibly modified food starch, as glutamic acid sources, without having to label it as containing msg.

Reply to
doofy

We cut them smallish (2" x 2"), and either blanch and freeze or just freeze in ziploc bags. We use all winter. Works for hot peppers, too, unless they're the drying kind.

Pegleg

Reply to
pegleg