How do you use your excess bell peppers?

Page 2 of 2
James wrote:

Any excess peppers get diced up, sauteed until cooked way down and almost falling apart and then made into red pepper bread. Just add them to any white bread recipe toward the end of mixing. Add sauteed onions, too.
--
Reg

Add pictures here
โœ–

You can prepare and freeze the finished dish.
Pepper steak freezes well, as do stuffed peppers.
I usually saute a whole mess of peppers, some with onions... freeze in one and two cup portions, then add to stews and soups during winter... also good to top omelets, burgers, and bake into corn muffins. I also like to add bell peppers to some of my home made tomato sauce.
Even though I grow a lot I don't usually end up with a lot of extra bell peppers, they're one of the things I rarely give any away. Somehow they seem to get eaten in salads, very good diced into cottage cheese, tuna salad, slaw, etc... and I like fried peppers in so many things, goes great with scrambbled eggs, a western omelet, lox n' eggs, salami n' eggs. Sometimes when I feel ambitious I'll make up a big batch of fried rice and top it with sweet n' sour chicken w/ peppers and pineapple, with snow peas and green onion, etc. Peppers are very good in stir frys.
Bell peppers are easy to use up.
http://www.recipeamerica.com/recipes/pepper.htm
Of course you can use up a lot of bell peppers as pizza topping, or diced into sloppy joe.
Here, this looks mighty tasty, and can be frozen: http://www.foodreference.com/html/bell-pep-pie-830.html
Sheldon
Add pictures here
โœ–

I like them stir fried in peanut oil with garlic and a little bit of beef or a tiny pinch of msg. I also add some crushed chilies, and right at the end, some soy sauce.
--Bryan
Add pictures here
โœ–
Bobo Bonoboฎ wrote:

I can't believe someone would put msg on their own food. I spend lots of time trying to avoid it, and make sure the chinese restaurants don't use it. They lie a lot.
Add pictures here
โœ–
doofy wrote:

Rotsa ruck trying to avoid MSG, it's naturally ocurring in many, many foods...even in yer Mama's (or yer girlfriend's) breast milk.
A tiny bit helps as a flavoring agent, the problem with MSG in Chinese restos is that years ago many over - used it as a flavoring agent, thus it's bad rap. "Accent" was a big - selling flavoring agent back around the 60's or so, it's largely MSG. Since then we've generally become more knowledgeable and sophisticated about flavoring enhancers (herbs, spices,,,,), Accent is not used like it once was. IIRC you can get the same effect of too much MSG by using too much salt...and salt is naturally ocurring in most everything too. Just don't over - do it...
A number of people who complain about "too much MSG" in Chinese food are simply having a reaction to the very high levels of salt used in some Chinese food...
-- Best Greg
Add pictures here
โœ–

It is very potent stuff. You only need a tiny bit. 1/8t maximum in a stir fry (one extra large plate full). I only use it if I'm not adding meat. It makes a difference.
The way you see the stuff, sold in huge containers, can only suggest that many folks use FAR more.

--Bryan
Add pictures here
โœ–
Gregory Morrow wrote:

Not for me. I like salt. MSG causes other odd problems.
Now they use fake foods, like autolyzed yeast extract, and possibly modified food starch, as glutamic acid sources, without having to label it as containing msg.
Add pictures here
โœ–

We cut them smallish (2" x 2"), and either blanch and freeze or just freeze in ziploc bags. We use all winter. Works for hot peppers, too, unless they're the drying kind.
Pegleg
Add pictures here
โœ–