How do you tell when a sweet green pepper is ripe ?

This year, for the first time, I put a few sweet peppers in. I've got some peppers, but how do I tell if they are ripe ? The seed package shows red and green fruit, but so far mine are all dark, dark green.
How big are homegrown peppers (California Wonder). The peppers I buy in the market these days weigh a pound or more, and I figure they are as bloated as the huge strawberries are.
--
Al Dykes