How do you store pumpkins?

I got hold of one today and found out that I can fry it in olive oil like squash.

Now that I found a good way to cook it I need to find a way to store it when it goes on sale after hollowed.

Reply to
CanopyCo

Select those without skin damage, do not pull off the stem and store uncut in a cool dry place until required.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I store them like I store butternut squash. Find a cool dry place with some air movement and keep them there. Don't buy any with damaged skin. How do you cut them for frying?

Reply to
Hedda Lettis

What I did was as follows;

Top the pumpkin, as in cut off one end to access the seeds. Scrape out the seeds. Lay on its side and slice off slices to make donuts about one inch thick. Take donut and slice off skin by laying it on a cutting board and going around it cutting off slices. Then slice it up like you would a potato or squash, in about that sized chunks.

The one that I had was small, so I got some french fry type slices one time, then a bunch of little one by one half inch chunks the other time, from the same donut.

I fried them in olive oil just like potatoes or squash, and it came out tasting sort of like butternut squash.

Reply to
CanopyCo

What I did was as follows;

Top the pumpkin, as in cut off one end to access the seeds. Scrape out the seeds. Lay on its side and slice off slices to make donuts about one inch thick. Take donut and slice off skin by laying it on a cutting board and going around it cutting off slices. Then slice it up like you would a potato or squash, in about that sized chunks.

The one that I had was small, so I got some french fry type slices one time, then a bunch of little one by one half inch chunks the other time, from the same donut.

I fried them in olive oil just like potatoes or squash, and it came out tasting sort of like butternut squash.

Thanks a bunch. I'm gonna try it. :^)

Reply to
Hedda Lettis

:What I did was as follows; : :Top the pumpkin, as in cut off one end to access the seeds. :Scrape out the seeds. :Lay on its side and slice off slices to make donuts about one inch :thick. :Take donut and slice off skin by laying it on a cutting board and :going around it cutting off slices. :Then slice it up like you would a potato or squash, in about that :sized chunks. : :The one that I had was small, so I got some french fry type slices one :time, then a bunch of little one by one half inch chunks the other :time, from the same donut. : :I fried them in olive oil just like potatoes or squash, and it came :out tasting sort of like butternut squash.

I grow Japanese pumpkins, known as kabochas. They are smaller than orange pumpkins and the flesh is a darker orange-red, also a fair amount sweeter. I like them much more than orange pumpkins. They are actually pretty similar to acorn squash, I believe, and other "winter" squash.

I cut the washed, and seeded kabochas into ~1 inch squares, maybe a little bigger and parboil them for maybe a dozen minutes. Drained and cooled, they can be added to a just-cooked stir fry or mashed for pumpkin bread, soup, pie, cookies, etc. Or frozen for later use. This technique could certainly be used for "regular" pumpkins.

Dan

Reply to
Anonymous

You cook it and then freeze it? That sounds like something I can try.

Reply to
CanopyCo