How Do I Harvest Broccoli

I planted some broccoli this year for the first time, and it is starting to ripen. I am not sure how to tell when it is quite time to pick it. I also have no idea how to harvest, I noticed another post where someone spoke of possibly another crop on the same plants. Thanks for all information.
--Jeff
--
Often war is waged only in order to
show valor; thus an inner dignity is

Just break off the head or cut it off--think of how you see it in the grocer. The plant will send up new shoots from quite a bit further down on the plant. SIde shoots will come up all around the main stem, then more as you break off those. My first head wasn't that impressive but I'm getting so many side shoots I'm more impressed with the yield. Compared to cauliflower this is so much better.
Harvest them when they are still the tiny little grains on the head. If you see the grains on the head getting larger then it is time. If the grains will bulge then split into little "flower heads"-too late. They start to shoot up and get tall after that. Mine are also bluish green at first. As they grow the color shifts to more green--I think that is later then when I should be harvesting them. I think they should be pulled while they still have that bluish-green tint.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, <1 mile off L.I.Sound 2nd year gardener http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier /
| I planted some broccoli this year for the first time, and it is | starting to ripen. I am not sure how to tell when it is quite | time to pick it. I also have no idea how to harvest, I noticed | another post where someone spoke of possibly another crop on the | same plants. Thanks for all information.
Cut it just before the little flowers on the head open.
--
TQ