How do farmers do it?

Here at the community garden the veggie plants are being eaten by deer and ground hogs. The only ting that is going well are beans and corn. They are eating everything squash, tomato , peppers etc.Hoe do farmers tolerate this? They must lose tons of plants. Do they have some kind of defense mechanism besides a gun?

Some of us lock the pets up at night and accidently leave a pool or two of anti-freeze out in the fields. Really hot powdered red pepper sprinkled around the perimiter, or all throughout it, of a small garden usually does the trick there.
Plus, the tried and true farmers law, plant 3 of everything, one for the birds and critters, one for disease and one for yourself.
--
J.C.

I use the hot pepper powder, too. It's done wonders keeping the feral toms away. Find an Hispanic or Indian grocery and buy it in bulk so it's not too much an expense. It'll probably take three spreadings to get your point across. (Notes: Wear food gloves. Don't rub your eyes.)
Planting garlic throughout my garden has seemed to prevent massive poaching -- although it did preseason the pears in a bad way. That was quite a shock.
The Ranger

I don't know about the deer, but I'm pretty sure they send the groundhogs to our place. Some kind of nonaggression pact, or something. They'll send the squirrels around just when the corn gets ripe.

That explains it! I guess Castle Ranger's simply the outpost where the suckers bulk up on tomatoes and oranges between their lands and yours.
The "Under Siege" Ranger

A gun is a standard item, as are dogs. Raccoons in particular can decimate more corn than they can possibly eat. Faced with a large stand of maturing corn, they become picky eaters, ruining hundreds of stalks a night in search of the tenderest sweetest kernels. Big flocks of blackbirds are another problem. Deer are a pest, but deer damage is usually limited to the outsides of a field, since they like to see around them and be able to run from predators. Electric fences are a common deterrant, sometimes with a much larger jolt than fences used around cattle.
Joseph A. Zupko wrote:

Andy writes: In Texas, we use what is called the " Three S rule"
Shoot Shovel Shut up
This way you have meat to go with your veggies..
Andy in Eureka, Texas

The best way to deal with endangered species. Certain Californians have been known to employ this method, too. Sue

Sue wrote:> >

****** I understand that bald eagle tastes a lot like chicken.....
Andy

You might consider some precambrian, rednecked, alligator mouthed, long pig to go with that.

LOL
--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 03:09:15 GMT, "Joseph A. Zupko"

My farmer friend tells me that deer really don't do that much total harm. Around here (San Joaquin Valley, CA), if anything, it would be coyotes. Easily dealt with with either guns or raw meat laced with Timic (sp?). Now said farmer friend had a problem one day awhile back when he needed some additional irrigation pipe that was in a pile being assiduously guarded by a skunk. He didn't have a gun with him but was able to wait til the next day for the pipe. Skunk was gone. Gentleman friend now carries a rifle in his truck. Sue

Woof, woof!

Electric fences are also used by farmers. Neither the dog nor the fence are practical for a large community garden.

Why not? We run electric around 15 acres with a solar charger.
Jan
--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 12:30:05 -0400, Jim Carter

Howdy,
Electrified fences are not likely to help with the groundhog part of the problem...
A few years ago I was looking out a second story window and spotted a large such critter happily eating our veggies while its hindquarters were wedged under out electrified fence.
The hair on his back clearly revealed the pulsing of the voltage, but he seemed not to notice.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 03:09:15 GMT, "Joseph A. Zupko"

how to protest against deer. Put up an electric, one strand, smooth wire fence. From the fence, hand bent strips of thin aluminum about 8 inches long. Place a strip about every 15 feet of wire. Smear each strip with peanut butter. This really works although the first deer may tear down the fence as they jump. No, I am not a member of PETA and I can only imagine putting your tongue on an electric fence. I just know from personal use that this method works. I live in Tioga County , NY where white tail deer are about the same as overgrown rats.
Allan Matthews wrote:

Andy comments:
Excellent !! That is a very imaginative approach, and does no permanent harm to the deer...... I bet it would also work on wild pigs, which is the problem where I live...... Thanks for the suggestion.....
Andy in Eureka, Texas