How cold must it get???

Despite very warm temps here in the St Louis Area.. (on border of zone 5-6) Last night at 2:00 AM it was 70....I know the frost is coming soon. I am a rookie fall gardener. I am prepared to cover with plastic my: Broccili Cauliflower Cabbage Brussel Sprouts How cold would this be necessary??? Also will light frost kill the lettuce? Thanks Joe Mc
Everything you've listed is a cold season vegetable. They should be OK til you get a hard freeze, at 28 degrees.
Regards, Dianna
On 9 Nov 2005 20:35:47 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

_______________________________________________ To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

All these will take 20F without dying. In fact my kale and collard take 10F without dying. Light frost will typically not kill the lettuce, but it depends on the type of lettuce and how established it is. I plant hardy lettuce in august and overwinter it under cover, where it, too, takes down to 5-10F without dying. In spring it is ready one month before the spring-planted lettuce.
Interesting.. So what are you covering your overwintered plants with..?
Interesting.. So what are you covering your overwintered plants with..?
Plastic is not recommended as a cover for frost-sensitive plants. Cloth is better. We/ve had good results using old bed sheets.

Do you prop the sheets up over the plants, or just drape over and let them touch..? How long do sheets last for you?
Thanks :)

I generally use poles to prop since any plant touching the sheet freezes.
Sheets last me about 3 years.
Cheers!
--
Om.

no, you make hoops with plastic pipes, and clamp the plastic sheets to them. The plastic is the one painters use to cover floors, 4 or 6 mils clear poly. The arrangements are called hoophouses. I keep permanent hoophouses over my beds, and cover around Thanksgiving.

I use #9 wire for hoops and Ag-19 row cover anchored all around with bricks.
Regards, Bill