How can I tell when my pineapple is ripe?

Bought this house a while back and the previous owner had left these two potted plants behind with these kinda obnoxious spikey leaves.

So I was out lookin' at 'em one day with my wife and I says "Mabel" I says "that thar looks like one of them thar whatchacall pineapples". She bent over looked at 'em real hard says "Ya know, I reckon that's 'zactly what they be".

So, now that I know they're pineapple, I'm wondering when they'll be ripe. The fruit started looking like a pineaple about 1.5 to 2 mos. ago. They are smaller than what you'd find in the grocery store but still relatively large.

Also, I read that the plant dies after bearing fruit. Is this true?

I must say that this is a pleasant surprise as we both love pineapple.

I live in east central (Space Coast) FL

TIA

Reply to
poolfool123

From bloom to fruit it takes about 5-7 months. The pineapple should start to turn yellow when you harvest it.

marcella

Reply to
Marcella Peek

fellow floridian ay? i am a space coastian also (palm bay)

i have about 5 pineapple plants. Pineapples, don't die after the first fruit, they usually put out a second shoot and make one more from the same base then tend to die back. but just take the top of the fruit that the plant puts out and plant it :)

welcome!!

Reply to
Joe

Pineapples are bromeliads and share growth habits with others in the family. They may die after fruiting/ flowering, but this is not always the case. And usually they will bear childen from the same root, they typically come up right next to the mother plant. Enjoy your pineapples.

Reply to
David

I actually grew a pineapple once. Mine was pretty small but then I'm a looooong way from Florida! It took it at least 2 years from when I planted the top of a store pineapple until I had a ripe fruit. Most of that time it was in my basement because we only have 4 months of frost free weather at the most. If in doubt, don't pick them yet. Few things are more worthless than a green pineapple. Watch for the green to leave the skin color. When they start to feel a little soft you may have waited longer than you need to but they should still b good. Enjoy! If I ever end up living in Florida some day, you can bet I'll be growing some pineapples.

Steve (in the Adirondacks of northern NY)

Reply to
Steve

Hmm.. this gets me thinking..

I have pineapple plants that I started from seed over 5 years ago. They are quite large but I have no idea how to get them to bear fruit. They are mostly indoor plants ( I am in zone 5) but are outside right now ( in the shade) enjoying our 30 degree celsius weather ( thats approx 90 degree F) in Ontario.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Reply to
Sallyrat&Sweetie

I have heard that you can put the potted plant in a paper bag with a couple of apples and seal it in there for a couple of days. The ethelyne gas from the apples is supposed to encourage the plant to blossom. I've not tried it, but it doesn't seem like it would hurt the plant if you gave it a go.

marcella

Reply to
Marcella Peek

Thanks Joe and to everyone else for the info!

Reply to
Whatsamatteru

Thanks Joe and to everyone else for the info!

Reply to
poolfool123

you can do what the other poster suggested or you can just cut up a piece of apple (with the skin) and stick it in the center of the pineapple, that has worked nearly everytime for me.

Reply to
Joe

Yeah, that should work. I remember hearing that it will also work if you just take a wedge of apple, place it in the center of the plant and leave it there for a few days. I didn't have to do that when I grew mine. It just surprised me with the flower stalk while it was in the basement. I was able to move it outside for the summer soon after that and (luckily) it was able to ripen in the summer warmth and sunshine.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I have a thought. Why the shade? If they were in poor light all winter, then starting them in shade is not a bad idea. You should slowly get them used to more sun until they are in full sun in a few weeks or so.

Now a question. Where did you get the seeds? Did you find them in a store bought pineapple? The subject of pineapple seeds came up in this group a year or 2 ago. Until then I didn't realize store pineapples ever had seeds. Since then, I have found them 3 times. I think all 3 were those orange pineapples marketed as golden pineapples. I've been tempted to plant some but haven't tried it yet.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Yes and Yes :-)

I'm trying to acclimatize them by keeping them protected. They are getting more and more sun and doing fairly well.

I found the seeds in a golden pineapple from the supermarket ( found some more a couple days ago). I just thought I would give it a shot and it worked. My FIL has the biggest one from seed. He is overseas for a month. Maybe I'll sneak an apple in there after he leaves :-)

Thanks for your help everyone!

Sally

Reply to
Sallyrat&Sweetie