How and When to Harvest Lettuces

Hi, I think the subject says it best. I have a variety of leafy lettuces and I would like to know when they are ready to pick, how and from where to pick, and what is the best way to encourage new leaves (and if it's possible.) Thanks
KarenCannoli wrote:

If they are the non-hearting type (cos, oak leaf etc) just pick the leaves you need from the outside of the plant. You can encourage faster growth in any leaf vegetable by feeding them high nitrogen fertilizer in liquid form.

Thanks, this is very helpful.
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:54:23 -0800, "KarenCannoli"

Outside leaves may be a little tougher than ones that are shielded from the elements. I suggest you try a batch of both and see if maybe you want to leave the outside and pick the largest inside leaves that are more tender.
Same goes for squash okra onions potatoes and many more (not tomatos) Pick the smaller produce and get twice the flavor.

Pick the outside leaves as needed. Leave the inner leaves to grow up and become outside leaves. Keep harvesting from the outside of the plant as it grows.
They're ready to pick when they look big enough to put in a salad. Your specifications will vary, depending on how hungry you are. (Mine always do.)
Keep planting a few more lettuce seeds every week or two, so when the old plants are done, you'll have young plants coming along.
Jan

Yes, and don't put it off too long.
They tend to get more bitter as the season goes on (especially once they start wanting to go to seed).