Household Compost Activator.....was: Leaf Mold, Do Tell..

indeed. I have used about 10 litres of piss on my decaying leaves. Last weekend I opened the compost bin to the faint smell of ammonia. Diluted it can also be used as a liquid fertiliser.

rob

Reply to
George.com

Ok, it's a slow night and in the process of rethinking my soil structure building, I came across this part of an article.

The main website is chockablock full of great ideas and projects for our young, as well.

sounds reasonable to me. Likely discussed here at some point, but I'm being lazy and not checking the archives.

Care Charlie

"Spread it on the ground, pile it up, add stuff or not....... Just don't bag it up and throw it away. It's all good." ~cat daddy

Just don't flush it either, it's all good. ;-)

Adding liquids

The best form of liquid addition for compost is what some composters primly call Household Compost Activator. Other people call it urine. Don't be coy about it -- this is what should happen to urine rather than wasting it by flushing it down the toilet. Develop a self-righteous attitude about not wasting it -- but don't shout about it too loud, modern city people like neighbours and so on can be funny about these things, what they don't know won't hurt them.

First, urine is sterile. Second, it contains the drainage of every cell in the body -- it's crammed with minerals and vitamins. Third, it contains a lot of nitrogen -- that's one reason that it's silly to buy nitrogen (there are others).

It shouldn't prove too difficult to arrange to have a few litres of Household Compost Activator set by when it's time to make the compost. You can use it neat, or mix it 50-50 with water, and add a capful of seaweed emulsion while you're at it. Use a sprinkling can.

For further information and reassurance on this matter, see: Container Farming -- Organic food production in the slums of Mexico City

More about nitrogen: well-made compost piles often end up containing more nitrogen than they started off with -- up to 25% more. It's provided by free-living nitrogen-fixing bacteria that thrive in a compost pile and "fix" nitrogen from the copious supplies in the air.

Reply to
Charlie

Diluted with ale at the intake port or water at the outflux port? ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie