House plants that you can eat?

I have only one that is outside in a large pot right now. That s a Kiffer Lime which flowers when I have been real good (Kidding). I love lemon grass but I'm at a loss to find other gems. Any thing I should consider ?
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
globalvoicesonline.org
Bill who putters wrote:

The problem with house plants is mostly they get little or no sun and the air is often too dry. If you include outdoor areas like patios, decks etc and rooms with big windows facing the equator there is more scope but mostly in the house you will be limited to plants that are small and do with limited light. Even then the plants must be in front of a window unless you want to burn up power on lights.
This limitation usually means that plants that need high energy are out which excludes fruits, including solanums and cucurbits, and those that store starch in tubers and corms. This leaves herbs (but some of them don't do so well) and leafy greens. So try lettuce, spinach, chard, the smaller brassicas etc.
David
On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 15:42:01 -0400, Bill who putters wrote:

It rather depends on the house. How about bananas?
http://www.wagonmaker.com/
IOW, what David said: give them space and light.
But for more "typical" houses: how about the classic potted herbs on the window sills?
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Under the big bright yellow sun" - Fat Boy Slim

FarmI wrote:

I think you mean the sort where you buy a bag of compost in a box and some cultivated mushroom spore. These are much easier to grow than raising shitakes which live on damp logs of wood. If nothing else you need an ongoing supply of suitable logs.
David

Lemongrass, and C. hystrix I've grown and are practically a staple when it comes to Thai cuisine. If you can successfully overwinter Citrus, you will have more options. But even on the "borderline," the very common & lowly calamondin orange is easy, and is highly decorative (-ok well maybe only if you grow them as beautifully as my g'mother did!), and its fruits will oftentimes substitute for a wedge or two of lemon juice. And Key lime fruits may be small (at least mine were, grown in containers) but, even their skins *IMO* are really very palatable; more so than kumquat. And there's rosemary, but I never seemed to have the knack for the stuff - always croaked on me after a couple years. Nice looking plant if you can grow it on. Makes a nice pale lavendar dye if you don't like the taste :-) I could probably think of a bunch of other stuff but few would really be considered "decorative" as houseplants. One exception comes to mind is banana, whereas growing indoors will almost surely never produce fruit but might possibly be used in Thai cooking. I truly like these as houseplants, but they can be a little fussy as to their soil, since over a few years they IME tend to get rot.

Forgot to mention peppers, had some pequins that ripened well after bringing indoors.

Rosemary, and bananas? Inside?
You got anymore of that stuff?
--
- Billy

Well, JME but the edible dwarf banana in particular somehow seems to fare a tad better indoors north of z10.