Horseradish leaves

Does anyone know whether the leaves of the horseradish plant are edible or not, please?

I have one gardening book that says the young leaves are very good in salads and another that says the leaves and stems are poisonous!

There are lots of recipes on the Internet for using horseradish but does anyone have a special recipe that they like?

The reason I'm asking is, my wife planted this horseradish over a year ago and now doesn't know what to do with it as it's spreading (unsurprisingly!) over a wide area - apart from digging it up and throwing it away, that is!

I once tried, many years ago, grating the root to make horseradish sauce and, being young (I was then!), did too much and all indoors! I could hardly breathe, my throat was sore, and my eyes just turned to water so I shall tread gingerly, next time.

Regards to all,

John

Reply to
John Vanini

Horseradish is a most fantastic condiment. Excellant on pork, and beef. Burgers and most any sammich. Mixed with mayo is great as well.

I like it in mashed potatoes with garlic and onion. With fried potatoes.

Mix with chili sauce or ketchup for shrimp and seafood sauce.

It is wonderful on sausages of all kinds...brats in particular. With sauerkraut!

I've tried it in several recipes, but prefer horseradish.....on the side.

Heh heh...once is enough of that, eh? Try it outside in a food processor and process it fine for the best heat and flavor. Google recipes for preservation. Easy stuff.

If the breeze is wrong, postition a fan the right way. ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Yep! Once is enough! I can peel onions without any problem - always have been able to - but horseradish - that's another thing entirely!

Just one question - you don't mention horseradish leaves - any ideas or experience of these?

I see from the email from James that he's tried it in small doses, so to speak, annd he's obviously still alive so that can't be bad!

The leaves smell so good that it seems that they should be edible but you have to be careful. I don't know where you are but, in England, during WW2 a government department put out that you could cook and eat rhubarb leaves as a food supplement - that was until several people had died from doing just that, then they had to quickly advise people not to do so!!!!

So, I'm being very cautious!

Thanks for your reply!

John

Reply to
John Vanini

Thanks James,

Just one question - could you eat a lot more and, if you drop down dead, email me again (LOL)?

Only kidding, James! Honestly!

I'm very grateful for your reply. There's a great deal of correspondence, on the Internet, concerning horseradish leaves, but I am never sure how true these letters are.

Thanks, my friend! I shall tentatively try the odd one or two.

John

Reply to
John Vanini

found references to using the leaves as one would use grape leaves, for dolma and the like. Also used in pickling.

But, on the other hand:

Are horseradish leaves safe to use? I was told to put the leaves in a crock when making crock dill pickles, but I also was told they could be poisonous. (e-mail reference)

A: The leaves are considered poisonous to livestock. As little as eating 1 percent of the body weight has resulted in swine death within three hours. Whoever told you to use the leaves apparently has gotten away without poisoning anyone, so perhaps it is in the processing that the poison is eliminated or destroyed. I still wouldn?t use it if I were you. Why take a chance?

HTH CHarlie

Reply to
Charlie