Horseradish in the UK

Hi everybody,
I am looking to grow some horseradish in containers (to control it) but cant find anybody selling seeds or plants. Can anybodt suggest anything?
I understand that the leaves are poisonouos. Can they be used in the compost heap?
Thanks Steve

Buy some fresh horseradish roots from the store. Make sure the tops are alive.
Plant it.
Off you go....... ;-)
Cabbage worms killed my last batch tho'.
When I put in a pond, I want to try growing real Wasabi.
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet Wrote:

Steve I dont know where you are in the UK, but in S&E England it has become nighmare of a weed. It rarely produces seed, but it propogates itsel from the smallest amount of root. It has been spead by land cultivatio and earthmoving projects, and apears to have no significant pests Planting it in a container is a really good idea. The plant grows lik a dockleave with thicker and more crinkly leaves. It is very common bu it blends into the landscape. If your intention is to make horseradis sauce then be careful. Grating the roots will make your eyes sting ver badly. Mac
-- MacD
On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 22:36:41 +0000, MacD
-snip-

The first time I grated my homegrown, I used a blender. A little vinegar, a little sugar, a lot of root - and off I went.
Then I took off the top and sniffed. . . . and landed on the floor.
It was as if the fumes sucked all the oxygen out of my body. Now I open the blender at arm's length and check the heat and fineness in a spoon.
Jim
Sorry to laugh at you Jim, but that is funny!
Reminds me of the time my wife was doing up some habs for powder in the blender.
She then put creme on her face. An hour or so later, she could open her eyes again.
John!
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Don't touch your private parts after chopping chillies! You will not make that mistake twice.
On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 18:24:23 -0500, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On occasion I've worn a snorkel and diving goggles when I've grated horseradish, it might look ridiculous but it works.

Wasabi need running water.