Horseradish in the UK

Hi everybody,

I am looking to grow some horseradish in containers (to control it) but cant find anybody selling seeds or plants. Can anybodt suggest anything?

I understand that the leaves are poisonouos. Can they be used in the compost heap?

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve Newport

Buy some fresh horseradish roots from the store. Make sure the tops are alive.

Plant it.

Off you go....... ;-)

Cabbage worms killed my last batch tho'.

When I put in a pond, I want to try growing real Wasabi.

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Steve I dont know where you are in the UK, but in S&E England it has become nighmare of a weed. It rarely produces seed, but it propogates itsel from the smallest amount of root. It has been spead by land cultivatio and earthmoving projects, and apears to have no significant pests Planting it in a container is a really good idea. The plant grows lik a dockleave with thicker and more crinkly leaves. It is very common bu it blends into the landscape. If your intention is to make horseradis sauce then be careful. Grating the roots will make your eyes sting ver badly. Mac

-- MacD

Reply to
MacD

-snip-

The first time I grated my homegrown, I used a blender. A little vinegar, a little sugar, a lot of root - and off I went.

Then I took off the top and sniffed. . . . and landed on the floor.

It was as if the fumes sucked all the oxygen out of my body. Now I open the blender at arm's length and check the heat and fineness in a spoon.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Sorry to laugh at you Jim, but that is funny!

Reminds me of the time my wife was doing up some habs for powder in the blender.

She then put creme on her face. An hour or so later, she could open her eyes again.

John!

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Reply to
GA Pinhead

Wasabi need running water.

Roger Dewhurst

Don't touch your private parts after chopping chillies! You will not make that mistake twice.

Roger Dewhurst

On occasion I've worn a snorkel and diving goggles when I've grated horseradish, it might look ridiculous but it works.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph