Horse manure

Page 2 of 2

I could not imagine that he added chemferts. He is *very* (as in, *extremely*) organic. He has gardened organically for over 30 years.
I think it's more likely that I was probably wrong about how aged the manure was. It had broken down very little in the pile, and we were forking from the top (therefore from more recent additions). Apparently the manure was fresh enough to burn and kill the roots of new transplants.
Dee
Billy wrote: ...

no it wouldn't. the ground is frozen.
anything on top is likely to wash away.
if you can't bury it i'd wait.
songbird

Might depend on you soil micro environment. All we ever did was toss it about in fall and work the soil in spring light tillage. Shit breaks down due to other like forms. A small pile is gone in no time. And we don't have any scarab beetles. I grew up watch Ott's /Disney time lapse photography. Sure it was beautiful to see a plant sprout but so was a mouse being taken apart by maggots. Talk about team effort!
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"Always tell the truth and you don't have to remember anything."
Bill who putters wrote:

if the ground wasn't frozen it would be a different answer from me.
if it weren't frozen i'd dig trenches and bury it (preventing run off pollution, wind erosion and giving the soil microbes the most surface area to work on).
and i agree that it is fun to watch nature at work. i've often watched ants.
songbird
On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 17:14:34 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (HL B123) wrote:

One other thing to consider is weed seeds from the horses normal diet. What do they eat? If they're free range and eat whatever grows in the pasture, that's what you'll get in your garden.
We get ours from a local Appaloosa farm that breeds high dollar animals for sale. Their diet consists of grains (oats) and a kentucky blue grass mix in the pastures. It's the cleanest horse manure around, weed wise. We have enough weeding to do already, don't need to introduce more ; )
Newb

I did it a long time ago. The wrong way. I'm still paying for it. Make sure its barn horse manure. If the horses are eating in a field. Weeds will overrun your garden.

Only if you don't weed often enough :-))

True enough, you can buy strilised topsoil and in a week or so there come the weeds through the damn stuff, and out comes the hoe as always.
says...

At retail outlets you can see bags of sterilized topsoil stored outdoors, sprouting weeds.

:-))) Would you trust any 'soil' that didn't sprout something or other when given half a chance.?
says...

It amuses me that weed seeds make it through the sterilization process, muscle their way throught the holes in the bags and continue to grow along quite happily throughout the season.
With that said, I don't trust any soil that wasn't made right here.
I have no trust for anything but organic manure produced on organic farms. -- The Aminopyralid issue has not gone away and I'm unwilling to risk contaminating our organic garden with it.

I've always hoped that the half lives of most contaminates are short. All the talk of organic pesticides in non-organic terms I thought of as malathion or seven breaks down in about 20 years. Mere pittance in time compared to TEL or Strodium 90.
Anyway
Happy Solstice! Seems the eclipse and solstice occurs about every 500 years.
................ Rare Cosmic Event to Transpire Tuesday Morning
http://bigthink.com/ideas/25574
Ps Merry Christmas now back to trying to making Limpa
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"Always tell the truth and you don't have to remember anything."

BTW here is what it may look like.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html