Horse Manure

Page 2 of 3

contains these words:

That's the best you get from the yard boy.

And the removal od separators and sigs would be appreciated, granddad.
--
Rusty
contains these words:

Mr. Yard Boy to you Don Staples, you know how we do things around here. Remember, there is nothing a matter with being a yard boy especially when you have a back ground in tree biology. Now claiming to be a consulting forester and defining a forest as a single stand or group of trees under one or more ownerships is silly to say the least. Not having a clue as to mulch chemistry in a forest and claiming to be a consulting forester is fraud. That means if I put two small trees in a trash can, I have created a forest. That's your words and not mine.
We need pre-forester like pre-med with tree biology being a must! BTW my definition of a forest is in my dictionary. You don't have to agree but you will know what I mean.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Blow it out your ass, yard boy. You never touched biology, at any level, you were a saw hand for Shigo for 58 days, the limit of your "professionalism" is pimping Shigo.
I live in the US in Iowa.
Farmers here generally use pig manure which smells just god awful but seems to always work efficiently for them... at my work we have cow manure in bags which people find affective.

And you can't even read headers.
This is probably because of the pig's ear you make of cutting and quoting.
Now go and do some unravelling and see exactly who said what...
--
Rusty

Don't worry about it Rusty. Symplastless never makes sense and only those who don't recognise the name ever bother to read him/her.

One supposes that his contributions match the (best) scrapings from his yard
--
Rusty

Like John A. Keslick, Jr!

'Sacha[_3_ Wrote: > ;815227']On 11/9/08 03:45, in article

> problems

> then

> poison

> may be

> the

> they

> unaffected.

> and

> systems

> and

> manure

> beans,

> European

> crops

> livestock

> solved

Just pile it in a heap and let it rot down by itself, or put it on oyur compost heap in layers about 6" thick alternating with ordinary organic matter. Whatever you do, don't lose it.
--
Hedgeman

be given wrote in message>> Mine too. Bloody good stuff is horse poo, but the Brits have had

Why don't you try reading the thread for comprehension in addition to using a newsreader that gives you decent attributions?
The problem with the herbicide infected British horse poop is that IF it's piled, the problem doesn't go away. This herbicide is nasty and piliing it is NOT the way to deal with the problem of contamination.
Mother Earth News has an article about this very subject in their current issue.
Linky: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/2008-10-01/Aminopyralid-Garden-Threat.aspx
If in doubt, ask the farmer/rancher if any pesticides were used in their pastures.
Cheers!

On our plots, Manchester UK, it was an herbicide call Aminopyralid introduced by Dow Chemicals a few years ago to treat broad leaved weeds in commercial crops. The herbicide binds strongly to plant material which when grazed by or fed to cattle and horses in feedstuffs such as silage or hay can pass through the animals without breaking down. We've been advised to rotavate or dig over the soil several times between summer and autumn when the soil is warm. The contamination is widespread here - seen in Scotland, Wakefield and Cornwall.
Luckily I was on holidays when we got a load - I was upset I had missed it. Not any more!! The RHS wrote to us advising us to 'scrape off' any loose manure! What a shame ...

I will have to make it clear that in tree biology workshops it was often stated that manure should compost before using as well as fresh wood chips.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Why not ask them if any weedkiller has been used on the pasture land where the horses are.
Generally speaking it is not horse manure that has been the problem, but cow manure. It appears that horses are far less tolerant to weedkillers than cows so weedkillers are not used. I understand (from a local stables) that cows only eat grass and leave the other stuff but horses eat almost everything.
Unfortunately I've got a couple or three tons of contaminated cow manure on one of my plots. It has killed everything except couch grass. I'm suing the farmer. I'm now using only horse manure which I know has not been contaminated.
PDM
On 25/09/08 09:52, PDM wrote:

Did you pay money for the cow manure?
Ed

Yes I did. And a lot on dificult to get seed potatoes which were all ruined.
PDM
On 29/9/08 10:20, in article 48e09e59$1 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com,

I don't know if suing the farmer will get you anywhere. The problem seems to lie with pasture that has been sprayed with a permitted herbicide. If 'your' farmer didn't know this could cause a problem, he can hardly be at fault. There was no deliberate intention to wreck your crops. BTW, because the answer lies in the grass and possibly in wood shavings used for horse bedding, horse manure is said to be affected, too so I hope it's not too late to prevent you from using that on your crops. If you haven't seen it already, this might interest you. There is some mention of compensation in one paragraph. http://www.glallotments.btik.com/p_Manure_continued.ikml
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

The weedkiller instructions for use make it clear that any manure should only be used where non grass food crops, such as Rye, are grown and they specifically state manure should not be used on any other crop. The farmer knew this when he delivered the manure. He and every other farmer who did this is liable. This means he is responsible for his negligence under British law. Sale of Goods Act for starters. He has already in part admitted responsibility. There are about 30 or more people suing him. This is happening throughout the uk.
PDM
On 30/9/08 23:47, in article 48e2ac85$1 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com,

Ah well, another farmer out of business, I suppose.