Hoop house

has anyone had success with building a hoophouse with a pvc frame.
I am building one but am having trouble figuring out how to attach the plastic.
The directions I am finding on the net just do not work.
Ben Lurkin
Ben Lurkin wrote:

You need clamps, such as those sold by Territorial Seeds. They fit perfectly with the given PVC diameter.
On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 02:43:50 GMT, "Ben Lurkin"

I followed the directions at http://westsidegardener.com/howto/hoophouse.html
I bought the Territorial seed clamps-- and they are fine. But I was in a rush and had some 1" black plastic pipe lying around so while I was waiting for the commercial version I made some temporary ones. [note that the clips just minimize billowing-- the 2x4s are what really hold the plastic down.]
The temporary ones were a little harder to put on, had a tendency to rip the plastic in high wind. . . but they were dirt cheap-- and I think with a little care like cutting with a hot knife and rounding the sharp points on each end they would work fine. They seem to hold as well or better than the commercial ones.
Jim
I followed the directions at http://westsidegardener.com/howto/hoophouse.html
I bought the Territorial seed clamps-- and they are fine. But I was in a rush and had some 1" black plastic pipe lying around so while I was waiting for the commercial version I made some temporary ones. [note that the clips just minimize billowing-- the 2x4s are what really hold the plastic down.]
The temporary ones were a little harder to put on, had a tendency to rip the plastic in high wind. . . but they were dirt cheap-- and I think with a little care like cutting with a hot knife and rounding the sharp points on each end they would work fine. They seem to hold as well or better than the commercial ones. ____________________-
Thanks to all that responded with suggestions.
These are the directions I am trying to follow. Until today I was unable to find "Polypipe" in less than 100 foot rolls. Black polyvinylcloride tubing just does not hold. Binder clips were a waste of money.
I found Territorial Seed on the net and called them and ordered 20 clamps this morning. There was one Hardware store across town that I had not tried. I went over this afternoon and got 10 feet at 39 cents/foot. Yes, that is dirt cheap compared to the commercial clamps.
I have never worked with Polypipe before. The man at the store knew that Weller made a hotknife blade for the soldering gun, but he did not have one.
I managed to get the tubing cut with a hacksaw blade in my sawzall. By this time it was dark. I can see that I will have a time figuring out how to get them installed. But, they certainly should hold against any wind around here if the plastic does not tear.
Thanks again. Ben Lurkin

I have built several of them over my "Square Foot Garden" (search google) beds. But they might be smaller than what you have in mind. My garden boxes are 4' x 4'. I have three sets of two pvc conduit clamps attatched to each of two opposing sides. I just take 3 ten foot sections of 1/2" pvc pipe and insert one end into a set of clamps on one side, bend them over and insert them into the clamps on the other side. I don't use plastic. I use black landscape screen but I guess I could do the same thing with plastic. I lay it over the hoop and staple it to the wood frame on both sides. I leave enough on the ends to wrap around the pipe and sew it with monofiliment fishing line.
--
JC from Gnat Flats

I built this one and have used it for the past 4 years. The last of the tomatoes are ripening now, along with peppers and eggplant.
http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/extension/publicat/postharv/green/small_greenhouse.pdf
The green house plastic (UV resitant) is just stretched over the PVC frame and stapled to the base frame with what I call a wack-a-do. Sorry I don't know the real name, but it resembles a staple gun head with a hammer type handle and you can pick one up with the staples at any big box store. The plastic also overlaps on the ground about a foot or so, and I covered it with chicken wire and dirt to help keep out critters (I garden in the woods and feed lots of wild life -LOL). You might also look into getting a shade cloth if you plan to use the hoop house all summer long and not just to start up plants. Note if anyone plans to build this hoop house, I found their estimate on lumber for the ends to be half of that required, unless the artical has been updated, take a close look at the materials list.
HTH
Rick