Honey bee collapse update

"Researchers in the US say they have found a unique combination of a virus and a fungus that could explain Colony Collapse Disorder, a mysterious illness that is wiping out beehive colonies around the world.

A paper on their findings was published online on 6 October in the journal PLoS ONE.

First author Dr Jerry Bromenshenk, a bee expert and biology research professor, at the University of Montana (UM) Division of Biological Sciences in Missoula, said in a statement that they don't know for sure if the two pathogens, a fungus called Nosema ceranae and a virus called insect iridescent virus (IIV), cause Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD), or whether the colonies with CCD are more susceptible to them.

"It's a work in progress, but it may be the most important advance in the search for the cause of CCD in the previous three years," said Bromenshenk."

Reply to
Bill who putters

And we all thought it was DDE.

Reply to
Frank

I think it is a matter of time frames. If something occurs in a year we sort can figure it out. 10 years and it requires intensive effort. Beyond that it goes into a scientific fog with a few champions still looking at possible implications. I believe the plastic and water bottle issue will fall into the later. My gut says it tastes bad and I trust my gut. Same for fish-farmed with feed junk like feathers and junk out.

That Spanish article on DDE may have merit but like most things it is the whole assault in life that matters. I wish it was confined to under three insults but it is not the case. Remember the half-life of TEL TML aka LEAD well it has not gone away neither has above ground nuclear testing. Sort of like the gift that keeps on giving.

Just one of many reasons to try to clean up.

Reply to
Bill who putters