Homegrown Revolution....Growing Your Own May Be the Most Empowering Thing You Can D

It's a youtube sorta day.

Gardening as revolutionary act.....

New Wearable Feedbags Let Americans Eat More, Move Less

la Revolución Jardín Charlie

Viva la VIda

"I used to rule the world Seas would rise when I gave the word Now in the morning I sleep alone Sweep the streets I used to own"

"One minute I held the key Next the walls were closed on me And I discovered that my castles stand Upon pillars of salt, and pillars of sand" ~~ Coldplay

Reply to
Charlie

And, given the current business models, seed saving doubly so!

(Anybody else going to the Seedsavers convention in Iowa in July?)

Gary Woods

Thanks again Charlie! I wonder if the networks will show something like this on occasion. All I hear about see about is folks getting food borne illness. So depressing and contrary to taking some control of our own foods.

Liked the music too from the first video for some reason ;))

Bill listening to Grand Picnic

Reply to
Bill

i'm sorry, empowering?

ugh... i've shelled, picked, hulled, husked, hucked, peeled, cut, planted, sorted, scaled, weeded, seeded, pruned, and all those other words... oh yes and harvested in general... for ages.

peeled back nails, green hands.. sore wrists, bad backs, bad hips... open sores from vines... it's very hard work... of course i had acres and acres.. that makes the difference.. and i never really enjoyed my garden since...

being away from it for a decade i'm sure now i'd appreciate a garden.... but where i live nor are there any gardens but you can't embellish one because it's against the lease.

empowering?

for me it would be an escape... from the concrete, tall buildings, assuming jerks who are suppose to be up and coming and brilliant city folk. (sorry, it's a lie! city folks aren't all that smart after all... never believed it but i sure felt dumb because they implied country folk were.) but in this age of green, i see more and more of these folk (city that is) trying to do the 'green thing'. and of course as you expect, fail miserably.

but, in this day and age... i see it now.. being forced upon us... getting a fold up bike and a bike bag... get seeds.. dry them.. or buy them.. make a garden because sooner or later if the gas / fuel hoopla soon don't calm itself.. we're going to be doing more and more 'country folk' things....

hehehe.. all comes back to the backbrain basics.

wonder what would happen if i turned my balcony into a garden?

(i'm sure i'd have to call a moving company)

i see more folks talking up gardens.. bikes and walking.

all this expensive life rushing in.... carpeting over us... suffocating us because our cost of living can't keep up, i know it's not suppose to but seriously folks! i can see a bunch of us going vegan.. countryfied and getting them there fancy shmancy foldemup bikes.

besides....

ripe on the vine, stalk, branch is so much better.. sometimes (i'm not complaining, i'm not!) getting green and ripening it the usual way isn't as satisfying....

nothing like a sloppy peach, alive with flavor and juices.... instead i must get them a bit on the green side or else... oh yeh, i love a dried up peach... really tastey. but that's all i had for the last 10-14 years.

garden.... empowerment?

uhummm.... (rubs chin)

been a while since i had a pea.... where i go.. barely any fresh peas.... but sure is a truckload of canned.. yeck!

screw canned and frozen.... any processed anything is worse than rotted stuff.

nuff of that rant.

:D

Reply to
e-vamp

Mean less need to count on others.

So you have no contact with the land and are dependent on others. But would you do it again or sit at a desk and have hemorrhoids?

Give it a try.

I know of hardly anyone talking gardens except here where I do it. Neighbors the new ones ask why all the wood chips and why the black barrel. One couple came and took many plants but most have to purchase them.

Don't understand you. But the older I get I believe the quicker time is perceived as one year is a sixth of a 6 year old and being sixty now that is a short time now.

Please keep on posting!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Also have to consider things like amount of usable land available, indiscriminant insects, flood and drought. Not denying though, homegrown is very doable.

If a long-term goal to be self-determinant, also consider growing for seed.

Reply to
Dioclese

Dee problem be dee 5000 sq.ft./person/year to unplug from dee food net, mon. We can augment, supplement, embellish and garnish but dee nut of the problem be growing the carbs and protein (80% of the diet) to sustain us, mon.

Reply to
Billy

Is there a web site?

cheers

oz, new to seed saving and surprised at the lovely flowers on bolted radishes

Reply to
MajorOz

As long as you've got this far, the seed pods that will soon follow are lovely stir-fried!

Gary Woods

as well. No substantial crop failures, insects, drought conditions preventing irrigation.

Reply to
Dioclese

Don't forget that adversity builds character.

Ah, the romance of agriculture;o))

Maybe the time for fat people is returning. Those of us who can easily store calories against the day of famine, will have a better chance at survival, instead of just being over fed and undernourished. Those of us who are naturally skinny may want to reflect upon our contempt for unfashionably fat people.

Reply to
Billy

for folks seeking character-building.

Reply to
Dioclese

As the I Ching says,"It furthers one to have a place to go". Mo be better especially for chickens, crop rotation, and natural disasters like dogs (or targets as JoeB calls them). ;o)

Reply to
Billy

Speaking of JoeSB.......wonder what happpened to the feller...no see for a long time...wonder if that ignorant F keslick did manage to off his account.......

Also wonder about Ann......nothing from her for a long time....

Haven't heard from Steve either... hope he didn't drown in the river during trout season.....

Catdaddy pops in rarely.

Micheal Lonegan (sp), Fragile Warrior, hmmm

Om seems to be busy and around seldom......but aren't we all......

Reply to
Charlie

How many U.S. senators does it take to change a light bulb? Can't be done. They're all out of town.

Reply to
Dioclese