Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

Page 4 of 7
In article

I've lived with 4 cylinder engines all my life.
0-60 in 4 seconds?
Why? <puzzled look>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

It's a testosterone thing. Just put it in the pile of boy things that you've never understood. For the most part, we don't understand them either.
y(Bill) Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
In article

--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
On 6/2/07 6:07 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@cor8-ppp5025.per.dsl.connect.net.au, "Bill

It's not all testosterone - I've enjoyed my turns in the big engines/lots of cylinder cars that have graced friends and family. A gas to drive, but not everyday. It's sort of like roller coasters. Love them, but not a steady diet of them.

Ok, I can go along with that. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
On 6/3/07 9:42 AM, in article omp snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com, "Omelet"

I know lots of performance freaks. They all have much better mileage cars for every day.
Cheryl

I was stunned once (more often than that actually but this was more like surprised) to meet a Frenchman (in France) who loved his 25 mpg American car because it had hydraulic valve lifters and required very little maintenance. In 1990, it cost me $50 to fill my VW van in France. Last week, it cost me $45.
The thing with driving a sling-shot (and risking the organism) is that it seems to be an absolute requirement that they clock in at 110 decibels as well. I know about back pressure but these things seem engineered to say "Hey, look at me". As my BP creeps up, all I see is a target.
- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Whaaaat? You are still driving a VW bus?
Ohhhhh.....the sweet memories!
Peace Brother Charlie

What can I say? When I work, it is mein schlaftwagon. During lunch I take my nap. I work until I'm tired (2 P.M. or so) and then I take my lunch (siesta, 25 min.) and then I'm good for another 6 hr. Why do you think people have VW vans. Motel rooms on wheels for the first 20 yr. Crash pads for the next 20 yr.
- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Aaaah. A man with style. We just missed out buying one on the weekend. It was a beauty. We've been looking for one for months. 1976, in immaculate condition except that it needed a clutch adjustment. Sadly not to be.
In article

Thanks for the kind words. I've always heard that those air cooled vans had lots of problems. Not so? I've had lots of interests in my life but cars were never one of them, until it broke.
The Westphalia was always my favorite. A person was always ready for a picnic.
Take care,
Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
On 6/4/07 12:50 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@cor8-ppp5025.per.dsl.connect.net.au, "Billy

I began interested in cars at a young age -14. Looking back, I think was the car, not the guy that was my "first love". (a forest green 1969 Mustang convertible)

Those were fun. A girlfriend had one - crammed a lot of stuff or people or both in to a few times.

I don't remember the Hindenberg boom, but I'm in agreement with the rest of your statements. We've known about this for fifty years. This gas "crisis" is such a bunch of bullshit. I read a very funny phrase in another forum about dubya. If people are sensitive to sexual ideas, turn away now; someone's tag line was:
I wish somebody would blow him so we could start the impeachment process.
I found that hysterically profound!
Now, why are the two most popular hybrids made by Japan? The Ford doesn't live up to the hype, or so I've read. If we really wanted vehicles which get 100 miles to a gallon of gas, we could do it. We don't need speed boats.
Maybe coming up with localization is another good way to conserve. Build communities which have all they need within walking or biking distance. Especially in places like Texas where land is spread far and wide...but that too is rapidly changing.
Eh, my knee hurts.

That sounds nice but it costs significantly more to extract hydrogen from water then to produce it any other way. The most economical way at present to produce hydrogen on a massive scale is steam reforming of the methane in natural gas or coal gas in which the gas is combined with superheated steam, releasing hydrogen and carbon dioxide. CH4+2H2O=4H2+CO2 if I got my chemistry right. This is the Bush hydrogen initiative. No improvement in carbon dioxide emissions, but it would be a boon for the natural gas and coal industries. And that's the real point of it.
Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears. To be led by a fool is to be led by the opportunists who control the fool. To be led by a thief is to offer up your most precious treasures to be stolen. To be led by a liar is to ask to be lied to. To be led by a tyrant is to sell yourself and those you love into slavery." Octavia Butler
plants do it very economically. we just need to figure out how to replicate it, probably using variations on the organic enzymes plants use and do it in vitro. Ingrid
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 01:02:40 GMT, "Lorenzo L. Love"

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

If you are planing on using the Citric Acid Cycle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid_cycle to power your car, you can plan on zipping along at the speed of a growing plant. CO2 release is only a problem if you add to the atmospheric load of CO2. CO2 already exists in the atmosphere where it is part of the CO2 Cycle http://www.google.com/search?q=CO2+cycle&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.m ozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a . The Problem is in increasing the amount of CO2 by the introduction of fossil fuels. Working within the CO2 Cycle is a zero sum games with no CO2 increase.
H2 + O2 is a great source for energy but I don't think you want a pressurized cylinder of it under the back seat of your car. If H2 could be produced as needed, it may be safe (depending on the process). Electric cars powered by central power stations across a grid would, to me, make the most sense for daily needs. This would allow CO2 scrubbing of smoke stacks to eliminate CO2 from being returned to the atmosphere and allow the use of bio-mass for fuel.
Fossil fuel is the enemy.
- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
not citric acid, not electron transport. use first stage of light reaction in photosynthesis. H2O + photon ->2 H+ and electrons and O
I am thinking more about make the hydrogen as you go AND have some kind of storage for the hydrogen that is more stable, like H2CO3 <=> H+ and HCO3. The actual electrons are what fuels ATP production during the light cycle so electrons can be stored. Ingrid

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

You mean 2 H2O + 2 NADP+ + 2 ADP + 2 Pi + light --> 2 NADPH + 2 H+ + 2 ATP + O2 ? That is a mess of wet chemistry, you have in mind guy/girl. Another way would be, by definition an acid releases H2 when it comes in contact with a metal (yeah, there are a few exotics, but hyronium donors do) but then there is the problem of all that acid sloshing around in the vehicle. Seems to me, photovoltaic and a battery would be more practical. Even more practical would be the electric plug in vehicle. For the real hard core, we could go back to the Stanely Steamers. Then Frag could just dry out some pasture pastries, toss 'em in the burner, and sail off down the road. No fossil fuel. Might smell a little funky though.
I think I have a recent article around here, some where, on H2 storage. Lemme git back to ya.
- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

electrical plugs just put off the problem. somebody somewhere gotta burn something to make the electricity. if they are making hydrogen from water, fine, if it is nuclear less than ideal.
platinum is typically used to catalyze the splitting of water, used with an electrical current in an ionic but not necessarily acidic environment. Ingrid
wrote: Even more practical would be the electric plug in vehicle.
snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

True, but then you can use bio-mass and your not burning fossil fuel. Additionally, you have the option of scrubbing the smoke stack to sequester the CO2 and reduce the over all amount in the atmosphere.

About as far as you can get from ideal, IMHO. In 30 - 40 years, fusion reactors should be viable with lots of safe, clean energy. Why mess up the planet for a 40 year fix, when it creates more problems than it solves?

The April '07 issue of Scientific American addresses the issue of hydrogen storage. The choices are (1) compressed hyrdogen, (2) liquid hydrogen (Ever see the demonstration where they dip a rose into liquid helium? Same kinda deal) (3) reversible "hydrogen metal hydrides" (they generate H+ in response to heat and a catalyst and, they need to be removed to recharge) and (4) "hydrogen adsorbents" that work like sponges (don't need to be removed to recharge but research just beginning).
Unfortunately, the full article isn't available on line without a subscription but you could find it at the library and, the graphics are very helpful in helping understand the problems involved.

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)