Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

the problem is, all carbon based fuels release CO2 when burned.

what we need is to break the hydrogen oxygen bond in water and then burn the hydrogen back to water. plants do this, they use solar energy to knock the hydrogen off the water, use the energy of the electrons to form a covalent bond (organic) that stores the energy (using CO2). That is really clean energy.

Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

If you run across anyone named "Flora" in Indiana, they're probably kin to me. My g.g. Uncle John Flora founded the town of Flora, Indiana. My family back there is Mennonite. (And Swiss-German.)

Grandpa Flora grew up horse farming back there. I come by these tendencies to garden, farm and raise livestock honestly : )

Jan in Alaska

Reply to
Jan Flora

Jan Flora wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@prawn.nwc.acsalaska.net:

Cool. I'm not from Indiana and have only been here five year so I'll have to look up where that is.

Not bad heritage, is it? I'm a farmer at heart but grew up in a city. I keep trying to talk farmers into letting me run their heavy equipment under the guise of "helping them" but, really, I just want to be a farmer driving a big ol' John Deere.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Not to put too fine a point on it, but fossil fuel has been out of the carbon cycle for a long time and is being reintroduced. Wood burned from last year though is just going around and around in the carbon cycle. We need to stop burning fossil fuel.

- Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Reply to
Bill Rose

"HorseS" - plural? That sounds like it is the kind of town that would only have one horse.

Reply to
Usenet2007

snipped-for-privacy@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nntp.aioe.org:

Well, two of them can fit in my Neon so maybe it's like a one and 2/3 horse town...

Reply to
FragileWarrior

On 5/31/07 3:02 PM, in article f3n652$5ke$ snipped-for-privacy@blackhelicopter.databasix.com, "FragileWarrior" >

I'd love to see a copy of it! C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:C2856E56.69910% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

Me, too. I didn't keep one. :(

Reply to
FragileWarrior

What did they say when you sent the cartoon in? It does sound funny. C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:C2857CAE.69919% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

@blackhelic>>>

I thought it might make their day but they never acknowledged it. Maybe they wanted more technical info. (Hey, that's all I could remember -- I fell ON MY HEAD.) They did send me a new helmet but they're supposed to do that anyway.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

I'll bet that someone posted in their cube.

Cheryl Isaak

So invent the process and make it profitable. You could be the next multi-billionaire...

:-)

It really is not that hard to make Hydrogen. The trick is getting people to use it as a fuel, make it cost effective, and SAFE.

Reply to
Omelet

Absofrigginlootly! :-)

And guess what? It'd also drastically improve global air quality...

Reply to
Omelet

the algae and other plants that sucked up all the CO2, died and were buried is what made the planet climates what they are now. There are already huge prizes being offered for methods of sequestering CO2, essentially, CO2 scrubbers that remove CO2 from the air (CO2 is soluble in water), form a chemical reaction that removes it from the water and then inject it back into those empty oil wells or whatever. Limestone is calcium and magnesium carbonates, so it could also be used to make limestone bricks to construct houses? problem is acid dissolves limestone.

and do it using non-polluting energy!!! like the sun or wind. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

I am not in the lab anymore. up to this point mother nature has been fooling with the light reaction center in plants that soak up the photon of energy and use it to break water (water is typically broken by running electricity thru a platinum wire). Chlorophyll is the best (so far) at doing this, but uses only blue and red light. It is the biotech people will start fooling with the reaction centers of chloroplasts to stick them into a synthetic membrane and/or make a better photon grabber. Maybe layer several different reaction centers that absorb across the whole spectrum so they are more efficient.

hook this up with some extremely high efficiency lights over the membranes (light the flashlights that have a little generator in them) and no need for solar light. maybe have the choice of cranking it up to get it started, or, a good battery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

Yeah. You are right. But "bottom line" people will see that this costs them money. They will be dragged to environmentalism, kicking and screaming. Countries that don't clean-up will get more energy per pound (gallon, whatever), which will put us at a disadvantage (so the spin will go). The biggest bang for our buck that we can get RIGHT NOW is conservation. The $10,000,000 the the knuckle head at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. wants (and sadly, so does Obama) to put into energy savings from ethanol (which will be grown with petroleum) can be had for $3,000,000 and change by conservation.

The thing with fission power is (besides the massive problem of it's waste, even in fast breeders) is that workers exposed to radiation pass their injuries on to the following generations. If a coal miner gets black lung, the injury dies with him. I know. It's a pretty cold calculus.

If we could reduce CO2 and wait 30 years, there should be fusion reactors which will be infinitely safer than coal or fission.

In the meantime conservation, water power (including tidal), wind power and, photovoltaic could buy us time.

Bill Rose

I know you may be kidding, but the problem IS money. There is no reason why gas is costing what it does. Oil tycoons made record profits the last three years in a row. It's disgusting, along with the greed and every putrid thing about it, the desire for it, the attachment to it,etc.

Reply to
jangchub

Only half-way. It really IS easy to make Hydrogen. It's one of the most abundant elements in the universe.

The oil companies have a stranglehold on the economy. They don't WANT alternative energy and he who has the gold makes the rules. :-(

Both true.

You are preachin' to the choir. ;-)

Reply to
Omelet

Omelet expounded:

Yep. I think there's lots of us, but the powers-that-be don't want to hear us :o(

Reply to
Ann

AMEN!

Reply to