Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

Page 3 of 7
the algae and other plants that sucked up all the CO2, died and were buried is what made the planet climates what they are now. There are already huge prizes being offered for methods of sequestering CO2, essentially, CO2 scrubbers that remove CO2 from the air (CO2 is soluble in water), form a chemical reaction that removes it from the water and then inject it back into those empty oil wells or whatever. Limestone is calcium and magnesium carbonates, so it could also be used to make limestone bricks to construct houses? problem is acid dissolves limestone.
and do it using non-polluting energy!!! like the sun or wind. Ingrid

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

Yeah. You are right. But "bottom line" people will see that this costs them money. They will be dragged to environmentalism, kicking and screaming. Countries that don't clean-up will get more energy per pound (gallon, whatever), which will put us at a disadvantage (so the spin will go). The biggest bang for our buck that we can get RIGHT NOW is conservation. The $10,000,000 the the knuckle head at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. wants (and sadly, so does Obama) to put into energy savings from ethanol (which will be grown with petroleum) can be had for $3,000,000 and change by conservation.
The thing with fission power is (besides the massive problem of it's waste, even in fast breeders) is that workers exposed to radiation pass their injuries on to the following generations. If a coal miner gets black lung, the injury dies with him. I know. It's a pretty cold calculus.
If we could reduce CO2 and wait 30 years, there should be fusion reactors which will be infinitely safer than coal or fission.
In the meantime conservation, water power (including tidal), wind power and, photovoltaic could buy us time.

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

So invent the process and make it profitable. You could be the next multi-billionaire...
:-)
It really is not that hard to make Hydrogen. The trick is getting people to use it as a fuel, make it cost effective, and SAFE.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
I am not in the lab anymore. up to this point mother nature has been fooling with the light reaction center in plants that soak up the photon of energy and use it to break water (water is typically broken by running electricity thru a platinum wire). Chlorophyll is the best (so far) at doing this, but uses only blue and red light. It is the biotech people will start fooling with the reaction centers of chloroplasts to stick them into a synthetic membrane and/or make a better photon grabber. Maybe layer several different reaction centers that absorb across the whole spectrum so they are more efficient.
hook this up with some extremely high efficiency lights over the membranes (light the flashlights that have a little generator in them) and no need for solar light. maybe have the choice of cranking it up to get it started, or, a good battery.
Ingrid

I know you may be kidding, but the problem IS money. There is no reason why gas is costing what it does. Oil tycoons made record profits the last three years in a row. It's disgusting, along with the greed and every putrid thing about it, the desire for it, the attachment to it,etc.

Only half-way. It really IS easy to make Hydrogen. It's one of the most abundant elements in the universe.
The oil companies have a stranglehold on the economy. They don't WANT alternative energy and he who has the gold makes the rules. :-(

Both true.

You are preachin' to the choir. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Yep. I think there's lots of us, but the powers-that-be don't want to hear us :o(
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

AMEN!

They would if we could (somehow) quit buying gasoline, but how many of us can do that?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
well.... we have one sports car, one gas efficient mazda and a trailer for when we need to haul stuff instead of an SUV or van. we moved into the city and DH is now 1 mile from work, I am 5 miles. no more big commutes. we shop locally and I mostly buy online so there arent a lot of shopping trips. we dont do "car" vacations and long trips. our gasoline needs have really dropped. Ingrid

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

I can't move closer to work. It's not practical so I use close to 2 gallons per day during my commute.
But I make sure that I do most of my shopping on the way home from work as a slightly different route will pass me thru town on the way home, and shopping trips to Austin are severely limited.
I'm on vacation this week and won't be going anywhere. I have too much to do here anyway. ;-)
I also shop by phone somewhat before going out so I can make just one trip to one store.
I don't like to shop on line as credit card interest rates are too high so I limit their use to what I can pay off each month.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Get a debit card. No interest. We got one just for shopping online and on ebay. (We don't believe in credit cards.)
Jan
--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.

I do have a debit card.
It's not recommended that a debit card be used for on line purchases as there is no way to recover the funds if there is a problem. Once the money is gone, it's gone.
Credit card purchases have their own built in warantee.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

That depends. My debit card is a MasterCard, and it has all the protection of a credit card. And I've had to use that protection in the past, so I know it works.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Ok, that's good info, thanks! My debit card is a visa.
I'll have to talk to my bank. I am new to debit cards.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
expounded:

Mine is has the visa logo also. Any debit cards with a major credit card logo have the same perks as a credit without all the downfalls. or that's the way it works around here anyway. definitely check with your bank - but if you have the logo - you should be fine.
rae

Thanks again. :-)
I have managed to pay off all of my credit card debt and am trying to totally avoid using them at all. Interest rates are usery!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

There are a LOT more of us now than ever before. AT one time, even in this newsgroup we were the minority. It is wonderful to see American's finally waking up to the administration full of theft and lies.

I know!

Two things though; (1) remember the Hindenberg (boom!) and, (2) the First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed (beware of little black boxes).
It seems that electric motors fueled by wind, water, Sun (and Earth bound fusion) and, perhaps conventional, central, power plants where CO2 can be scrubbed from the smoke stack are the answer.
Personally, I don't need to go from 0 mph to 60 mph in 4 sec. So there may be some adaptations we need to make but I think we can live with that.
- Bill(y) Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)