Home Depot trees

Page 2 of 2
The Ranger wrote:

OK Ranger. Sorry for the mixup, but I have seen my name twisted up before on this group. I also did not know that brooklyn1 is really Sheldon Katz. He is an idiot, first class.
Apologies,
Sherwin
"The Ranger" wrote

;-) Thats Sheldon for ya!

Careful, cshenk. Sherwin's spoilin' fer a fight. He'll call you a name and really mean it... ;)
The Ranger
gardengal wrote:

Obviously, the sales people I encounter in my area big box stores have not taken your classes.
The fruit tree stock may be fresh, but it is often misslabled. When I checked on a misslabled tree recently, I discovered it had gone through at least three sources from initial grower to distributor to the final seller. It was impossible to trace the variety.
Sherwin
They are *OK*. Yes, Fall is the best time to plant trees, but if you are in zone 5 or north, it is getting kind of late to be planting trees - October was best.
You might be better off looking for a real, full time nursery. You might be able to find a tree that has a larger trunk, and one that will get established and start bearing fruit much faster.

In the San Francisco Bay Area, fall is not the best time to plant stone fruit trees. Winter is the best time because you can purchase bare root stock which is much cheaper than a balled root tree, and will establish itself better.
We don't have snow and frozen ground. Life is a little different than in Ohio.
Susan B.